Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WMK IP Addresses

Options
WooDoggies
WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
edited November -1 in Forum Feedback
I think I remember a while back when the new forum was taking hold that you'd be able to include the poster's IP address with every post.... just like on the old forum.
Any chance of adding that useful tidbit of information? Thanks.

john

Comments

• WMK
    WMK Posts: 1,747
    Options
    WooDoggies,

Perhaps; but there are some, other than "trolls", that do not want this information public (e.g. those who post from work). So, I'm not sure when, or if, we'll be making this information public again.

Plus, ip addresses change all the time. Some folks get a new address each time they connect while others keep the same one for a while, then it changes when their router or cable/DSL modem is power cycled. Because of this, and the ease with which ip address can be "spoofed" by those will malicious intent, ip address based blocking or identification is unreliable (i.e. a post from six months ago from the same ip address could easily be from a different person).

On the old forum, we did bans by ip address, but found that after a while, we were banning completely different people than when we first entered a particular ban. This forces us to examine every banned post to be sure it is supposed to be banned.