Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just wingin' it

Smokey
Smokey Posts: 2,468
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've cooked alot of things on the Egg, but I now have a new favorate ... WINGS. Maybe its that there is alot of surface area or maybe that they're cheep. No, maybe its just that they're easy! Anyway, Itried a new recipe and recommend it to all who like there wing with a little spice.[p]Altough I'd like to take credit, this recipe is courtesy Steve Vandegrift (via The Food Network)[p]
Sauce:
2 cups Red Hot hot sauce
2 cups brown sugar
2 tablespoons vinegar (Steve uses white vinegar with jalepeno peppers, onions, etc.)
Stick of butter [p]Combine ingredients and warm on stove or in microwave, then put in spray bottle and set aside. [p]Seasonings:
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup Italian seasoning
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup dried rosemary
2 tablespoons of red pepper (more or less to taste) [p]The above should be enough for 5 or 7 pounds of wings. Rinse and drain 7 to 8 pounds wings. Pour some of the Red Hot hot sauce over them, and toss. Add seasoning mixture (above) until generously coated. You will lose some in the cooking, so don't skimp! Place the wings on the Egg and slow cook them at a low temperature (250 to 325 degrees). After 20 minutes baste/mist with sprayer at least every 10 minutes. Flip them after you mist them. Total cooking time should be around 1 to 2 hours, depending on the heat of the Egg. [p]

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Smokey,
    That sounds good for when I have the boys over. The missuz is not into hot stuff anymore! When I do Tanker Tim's Okinawan Wings (my favorite) I also cook them at 250 direct. Any hotter burns the sugar. Of course the sugar is important for that caramelization that makes em so good![p]They are great. Wings up here in the DC area are $1.99 lb!! You can get leg quarters for 49 cents/pound, but wings are never on sale here. Strange, as West Virginia, Maryland and Virginia are huge chicken producers. [p]Thanks for the recipe.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Teslamania
    Teslamania Posts: 144
    Nature Boy,[p]I bought a pack at Costco the other day, and thought that wings were a lot cheaper there. Check it out next time you go - but I may be wrong.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Smokey,
    I like anything, other than my wife, that gives me a little kick. How do you spritz that mixture with a stick of butter in it? Doesn't it get thick?[p]Tim[p]

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Tim M,[p]No, the butter gets quite thin when heated. I put the spray bottle in the microwave twice durring the basting/spraying.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Teslamania,
    Thanks for the wing-tip! I will check it out. About time for another meat run!![p]Maybe while I'm in there, I'll grab me one of dem food saver vaccuum sealers!! Been eyeballing that sucker.[p]That Kitchen-Aid is smiling at me every time I go in that store too. I love that place. [p]Discover the card that pays you JACK![p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ