Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Couple first for us last night

Frank from Houma
Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had a bunch of nephews and nieces in town so we did a little cook for them. Six slabs of baby backs and a Tri Tip.

Did the baby backs dry (first time tried dry ribs). Rub was 50/50 Bad Byron's Butt Rub and turbinado sugar. Five hours at 250 indirect - two chunks of pecan. Sprits a few times with apple juice and apple cider. Mightyfine - the BBBR gave them a nice kick.

First Tri Tip. Rub was DP Cow Lick. Cooked high in the dome at 400 until 130 internal and then seared at 700. First time using my CI grid.

101_2276640x480.jpg

101_2279640x480.jpg

Lessons Learned:

1) Take pics of ribs before these kids get to them
2) Get a smaller CI grid that I can get a lot closer to the lump
3) Sear the TT at 125 next time - it was real good but we like em a little more to the rare side

Comments

• BigChar
    BigChar Posts: 113
    That is my fave recipe for BBRs so far myself. A couplel of questions about the TT, was it dry? I have heard they can be a bit on the dry side. Also, why did you cook, then sear, as opposed to sear, then cook? Just because it is tough to get the Egg back down after it has been at 700?

Did you hear the Hogs/Toigers game got moved again this year to the Friday after T-Giving? For the 13th year ion a row?
  • It would take quite a long time to get the XL from 700 back down to 350 or so. That's why I did the reverse sear. What I really need to do is quit putting it off and get an SBGE to sear on one and cook on the other. I followed the XErt process TNW describes http://nakedwhiz.com/xertsteak.htm

The TT was not dry at all - in fact there was juice running out it into the foil that I had laid in (didn't wrap it) for the 3 minute drive to my BIL's house. Kind of funny - had my bride in the truck along with the ribs in the ice chest before the sear. One minute sear per side, drop it on the foil, and haul beans to BIL's house while everything was warm.

No surprise on moving the Hog/Tiger game - makes some nice revenue for both teams.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    who told you tritip was dry, the stuff swims in juices

100_1195.jpg

100_1198.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Nice and juicy. I suspect if someone had a dry one, they simply cooked it too much.
  • BigChar
    BigChar Posts: 113
    I would have to agree - I thought I saw that on Alton's show, but I may have misunderstood. He was tlkaing about several cuts of meat in that area (I think) the top round versus bottom round, and he mentioned always try to go high for more flavor & juciness. Those both look really good. I am cookinig my first Egg'd corned beef brisket (ran home from work, stoked up the egg, set it up, made sure it was holding 235, now back at the office...my colleague mentioned something smells like BBQ in here....) I'll post some pics of that later -