Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pan for Meatloaf???

Options
Gloria
Gloria Posts: 161
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The temp is almost at the ready on the Egg and I have just completely forgotten if it is okay to cook a meatloaf in an aluminum throwaway pan sitting directly on the grill??????

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Gloria,
    Others have used such pans as drip pans. I don't see any problems. What I am looking for is a pan that is made out of the same metal weave that is used for splatter guards. I saw one once and now can't seem to find one.[p]Oh the point to the pan I am looking for is to allow the smoke to get at more than just the top of the loaf!

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Gloria,
    Yep! I use a regular meatloaf pan. Same one we used to use in the oven. So it's a little discolored. It's NOT going back in the oven![p]And don't forget...sandwiches!

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    dhuffjr,[p]Consider applying a smoke flavor to the meat before forming the loaf. Prep the meat and move to the freezer to cool (not freeze, just stiffen up a bit - about 30 minutes) and start your Egg. As soon as the fire is going (170-190°F), add a fist full of well soaked, well dried chips (chips work best for a heavy short smoke) directly on the fire. Add the meat (spread out on foil), the ceramic cap, and open the bottom vent wide. The dome temp will drop and the Egg will quickly fill so full of thick smoke that it will wisp out the bottom opening. Heavy smoke will be produced for about 30 minutes with the dome temp remaining well under 200°F.[p]Remove when you are comfortable with the smoke application. Definitely remove before the dome temp starts to rise to 200°F as you do not want to set the egg (if used) in the mixture. This is a smoke application not a step in cooking the meal.[p]Remove and allow your Egg to rise to cooking temperature. Form the loaf and cook. The smoke flavor be on the surface of the meal and particularly in the moisture. You will notice it a lot. When cooking the meal, the flavor will meld with the flavors of the loaf.[p]Spin
  • Ryan
    Ryan Posts: 243
    Options
    I use those to just form the meat. I'll throw the pans (w/meat) in the freezer for a bit to harden them up.[p]When I'm ready to cook them, I just pop them out of the pans and set on the grate. Cooking them in the pan will only impart smoke to the top of the meatloaf.[p]I've cooked them in the pan before. They come out just fine. I just like to have a smokier taste to the meatloaf.
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Gloria, a little HD foil works great[p]MxMeatLoaf1.jpg
    MxMeatloaf2.jpg
    MxMeatloaf02032000.jpg[p]

[ul][li]Grill Matt[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    Gloria,[p]This is what I use. Works great for small loose stuff like olives, too. [p]
    Lee[p]P.S. In case the link doesn't work, it's a wire basket in the shape of a loaf pan, sold by Brinkmann.

[ul][li]Meat loaf basket[/ul]
  • Gloria
    Options
    Shelby,
    I did use a throwaway aluminum pan set inside another pan to catch the "overflow". Delicious. No sandwiches for us though........some of the kids were here and it is GONE.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Gloria,
    How'd it come out...taste?
    Do another when the kids AREN'T around!
    Trust me...go straight to sandwiches with bbq sauce. He'll love it especially considering how he likes his pork sandwiches!

• Gloria
    Options
    Shelby,
    It was just a bit smokey, which was delicious. We can't wait to try it again. I told my husband about eating the sandwiches with BBQ sauce and he can't wait to try that. Thanks for the suggestion. I just can't believe that everything we have "egged" has been wonderful. A mighty fine piece o' machinary!!!

• WudEyeDoo
    WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
    Options
    QSis,
    I've been looking for a simple, easy way to get more smoke flavor in a meatloaf. Thanks for the idea! [p]Bob

• dan
    dan Posts: 57
    Options
    Shelby,[p]Meatloaf sandwiches are awesome. Have you ever tried making a grilled cheese meatloaf sandwich? Talk about GOOD! Make a grilled cheese sandwich like normal, but insert leftover meatloaf as an ingredient. [p]Dan.[p]