Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small butt, long cook

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This weekend I was building a new fence. I thought it might be nice to do a butt for lunch. I bought a 4 lb. butt, figured about 12 hour cook, maybe 14. 20 hours later I pulled it off at about 195 internal (wanted to get to 205 internal, but was about out of charcoal). Cooked between 225 and 250 pretty much the whole time. Had a great dinner, fed 5 and had some pretty good leftovers, probably about a pound. Did I cook this thing too low or is it possible it was mismarked?

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Kelvin, I don't think the weight makes much difference - every one - large/small/one/two - takes between 19 and 22 hours.[p]

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Kelvin,
    You might want to try to stay closer to the 250° mark.[p]Wess

• Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    Options
    Kelvin,
    I ALWAYS do my low and slows as near to 200 as I can. They just come out better that way for me. Less burned and tough "bark". Better smoke penetration and flavor. Juicier meat. What did you think?

• Unknown
    Options
    Huck,
    The taste was wonderful. The best pork there is is when you are nibbling while pulling. My only problem was I was planning on having it for lunch and barely got it off in time for dinner. Also, because of the size, and only planning to cook for 12 - 14 hours, I didn't worry about having plenty of fresh charcoal and ended up running out. I'll plan better next time.