Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

conversion of egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We're moving to a condo and guess what??? We're not allowed to use gas or coals. Is it possible to covert the egg to electric?? We LOVE our egg and actually have both the large size and the small..we'd like to convert the small. If anyone has any comments or suggestions, I'd love to hear from you. Thank you in advance[p]Rochelle

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    You should be able to get somekind of hotplate (or element) and figure out a way to secure it in the bottom of the egg. Once you figure out heat settings the process should work just fine.

Obviously no natural wood flavor but you can get seasoning smoke, if allowed.

GG
  • Don't move to the condo.

Think, damn it, think!

Are you willing to give up "some of the best food in the world"?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    LOL, good idea.

GG
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    You might want to see if you can find Alton Brown's episode of Good Eats titled "Q" in which he uses a large flower pot and bowl to make a smoker with a hot plate. His was about the size of a small egg. That should give you an idea of using an egg with a hotplate. You can then get smoke by placing a pan of sawdust or chips in the cooker, unless smoke is banned. The Food Channel should be cranking up some grilling and barbecuing shows soon, so I'd expect the Q episode should be on the air in the next month or two.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    That's what broght this to my mind. I have also been thinkng of getting one to smoke cheese and some cold smoke jerkey

Doug, did you ever get a response to the email's?

Kent
  • OzarkQ
    OzarkQ Posts: 150
    Options
    I tried the flowerpot smoker - but I couldn't find a hotplate that would take the temps long enough without blowing up. Here's what the AB flowerpot smoker looks like:

http://homepage.mac.com/dubmann/PhotoAlbum1.html
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    You're right GG. There was a guy posting here years back...can't think of his name for the life of me. For some reason (and I don't remember why) this cat sent me a whole series of pictures of stuff he had cooked on his egg, and his setup....which was a hotplate sitting down in the firebox.

That's all I know though....and would have no idea how to recommend how to do that safely and efficiently. It is surely possible though with some ingenuity.
    Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Rochelle Spilde,
    You got some good replies to your post, but you can't see them from here. Scroll up to the link to the new forum to get where you can see them.

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    That's it, nice job and thanks for posting.

I got to looking for the pots when I learned what an egg was and I found the forum.

One night and one day of reading the forum, a large was in the back yard and we were eating chicken and bratwurst.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    'safely and efficiently', that's another subject. I love lump & your seasonings btw.

Kent
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Thank you Kent
    Glad you are enjoying.
    Yep. Lump is good!
    Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Konrad "Teddy Bear"
    Options
    I've only ever used a hot plate for extended very low (less than 100f) smoking. Just make sure you catch your dripping and they don't hit the hot plate. I put a skillet on the hot plate, wood in the skillet and foil over the top with a single toothpick sized hole to let the smoke out and keep air from getting to the wood. I used a sub $10 brand new hot plate from Wally World.
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Is there a common area owned by the Condo Owners? If so, keep your eggs as is, and cook there. What does the condo owners allow in order to cook outside? Only electric? Is there a condo owners association that you can appeal to? Is the inability to cook on gas; charcoal; lump covered in a homeowners covenant?
    I realize all these questions are of the legal nature, but there may be a way around your inability of cooking on the egg as is.

Hammer