Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire Box Repair

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My fire box is cracked in a couple pieces, but one piece is small and causing problems when stirring the charcoal. Is there anything that can be used to bond it back together? I understanding the cracking is normal and all fine except that darn little piece!! Please help advise if you can.[p]Thanks
Brad

Comments

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    Options
    I've been using refractory cement on my egg. I've rebuilt the firebox with it and patched it wherever.
  • Bob In Texas
    Options
    Eggsactly how do you?, most people with cracking, breaking problems have been using JB Weld. Do a search on JB Weld and you will find multi-post, from the firebox, plate setter to the egg itself.
  • Pork N Stein
    Options
    I'd be interested in hearing more about your process with the refractory cement (and where is it available)? I was able to find firebox cement at the local Ace Hardware, but its the black stuff, temperature cured, and only rated to 1000 degrees -it didn't hold up very well or very long.

Seems like there were several folks who used a "laced" approach with holes drilled in adjacent pieces and either copper wire or stainless tig wire to hold the pieces together.
    Large BGE and a couple non-greenies
    Roanoke TX