Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Medium Egg

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy!
Just a few thoughts on the medium egg. Unsolicited...but thoughts nevertheless!! And sorry about the length![p]My first egg was a medium egg. And it was my first non gas cooker. My introduction to real BBQ....and an awesome grill. At once I was hooked, and within a few weeks, I knew I needed something larger. So I traded it in for the large. At the time it was 100 bucks more, plus I paid a $40 "restocking fee" on the medium. But I had a large. [p]A happy camper, I bought a small...for lunches, smaller family cooks, side dish cooks, camping and travelling. The pair worked great. [p]At the Eggfest last week, I picked up a medium egg from Dale (Daa Mayoor) and Seasonal Distributors (Tri County Hearth and Patio...good folks), and I have been using it nearly daily. After 3 years of cooking with the large and small, I can see myself using the medium more than the others. The cooking grid, like the small, is closer to the coals than the large. Great for searing.[p]The bottom firebox area is deep, and can handle a hefty load of lump. But more narrow and with less mass, more efficient that Mr. Big. [p]Though the grilling area is noticably smaller than the large, it is much larger than the small...and can accomodate the extended grate nicely. The dome is deep, and lots of vertical cooking space for indirect and double rack setups.[p]This baby is cooking real nice for me! So, I know nobody asked, but with all of the posts there are about which size to buy, I thought I might babble for a moment about my excitement.[p]Hefe-Wiesens to you.
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    MyBge_small.jpg
    <p />Nature Boy, I really didn't want to say it, but... I told you so![p]Have a gret Day :~}[p]

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • regularguy
    regularguy Posts: 17
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    sounds like just what i told my wife~~? it's a small /medium/large/world

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I share you thoughts on the medium! It is one great cooker. I still would like to have more space and a large may join the family this summer![p]Smokey
  • ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I've had mine five months now. I use it on an almost daily basis. The only thing I have yet to try is a brisket which is coming soon.

[ul][li]ravnhaus "medium" bbq[/ul]
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I picked up a medium from Atlanta EggFest last fall. I didn't make the Fest but RhumAndJerk did and brought his minivan, thank goodness. The medium has become my favorite of the Green boys and for all the reasons that you mentioned.[p]K~G

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    wardeggs.jpg
    <p />Nature Boy,
    I agree with everything you said...I use my meduim egg just about everyday.
    Larry

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]You and YB are going to be close in the number of cookers you have, soon. Glad to hear you having fun with your new medium egg.[p]I assume the medium can reach really high temps better than the small egg, and with the grid lower - hmmm, should sear nicely. My large sears better than my small egg - much better - because it can reach 800-900° while the small can barely hit 600° with a full running start. I wish Bge made the vent opening bigger, on the small, to allow more air in.[p]You gotta get the BBQ center done at your house! You can have your own Va-Eggfest then. :-)[p]Tim
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    YB,[p]With all these Eggs, you need a holster for your MAPP gas torch hehehe[p]K~G

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    KennyG,
    Did you see my sign...Will check your temp for food.
    Larry

• Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Large, don't need no large! Two mediums and a mini work out very well. Gfw and I were right all along. Welcome to the world of mediums.
    Fireball

• Mr Beer
    Mr Beer Posts: 121
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Hefe-Wiesens to you too. I don't have a medium egg. Only a large and a mini. A good wheat beer with yeast or a Belgian wit will go with ANY cook on ANY egg.[p]Mr Beer