Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butts a cookin

SWOkla-Jerry
SWOkla-Jerry Posts: 640
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The prep work is complete.

TwoButtsonaPan.jpg

The butts are on.

TwoButtsonanEgg.jpg

Temp is stable @ 250. 2 fist size chunks of pecan wood is smokin and smellin good. Will post the pulled product in da morning. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    that looks great keep us up to date......

looks like you used two diffrent rubs care to elaborate?

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Oledog
    Oledog Posts: 118
    Hey need some help please; I smoked a 6lb butt indirect heat at 250 / 275 deg for approx 9 hrs. I turned it once at the 5hr mark. It tasted great but did not pull apart as I thought it should. I even injected it with apple juice three times during the cook. Any suggestions / tech help you would share would be much appreciated.

Are those butt's around 6-8 lbs?

Thanks,
    Chris
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    What was the jnternal temp when it came off the grill? Should be 190-200F for pulling.

Rascal
  • Oledog
    It was 170-175
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Needs to be higher. You can slice it but it won't pull very well at that temp. You probably just got through the "plateau" where the temp stagnates for hours while the callagen & all is breaking down.

Rascal
  • Oledog
    Thanks; i will certainly get the temp up higher next time. Have a good weekend.

Chris
  • EggEd
    EggEd Posts: 88
    I might add that opening the lid more than once to put it in and once to take it off is something I do only if I make a bad fire. Fortunately, that has only happened once.

As the wise ones say on this forum, "if you looking, you ain't cookin"