Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

looking for Capt. John Beam, early importer

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi, this is a little off subject, but this seems to be a good place to ask if any one know the where abouts of an early importer of the Kamado.[p]His name was John Beam, and he was a Captain for American President Lines. He used to bring in several of the Kamados from Japan for his friends and acquaintances that he had introduced this great way of cooking to.[p]He brought one in, for my late father in 1961, I am guessing. And I would dearly love to contact this friend of the family. I would like to let him know of the passing of my parents and to thank him for bring in the Kamado and "Peter" the tonuki.[p]My father's name is Edwin Hoffman, Photographer, out of San Francisco.[p]I would appreciate any help, in locating Captain John Beam.

Comments

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    I've never heard of Catp. John Beam, but I'm very familiar with Mr. Jim Beam. :-)
  • BluesnBBQ
    Options
    I've never heard of Capt. John Beam, but I'm very familiar with Mr. Jim Beam. :-)
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,[p]Jim and I know each other well! We had a bit if a falling out a few years ago and we don't see each other very often, but I still consider Jim a friend.[p]Smokey

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Smokey,[p]I'm friends with Mr. Chimay and Sir Guinness. You might even say we're such good friends, that I drink them in large quantities to alter my state of perception. Am I still being too abstract? Well then let's just say I love bottles of these beery friends and I buy these friends at beer stores where they sit, often refrigerated, next to some of my other "friends."[p]A nickel to anyone that can figure out who these "friends" really are.[p]Mysteriously yours,
    Cornfed

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    HoffmanT8,
    Have you tried various internet searches? I just typed in the name John Beam in Sherlock for the heck of it and landed many sites; the first was called the "BEAM home page" which turned out to be an acronym for Brothers Empowering African Minds. Not the same Beam, but you get the idea. You could also try checking the American President Lines. The Internet's a pretty cool way of finding people. Good luck!
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• BluesnBBQ
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]Chimay's a Belgian Trappist beer and Guinnes is Guinness Stout (aka "nectar of the gods"). Where's my nickel? :)
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    Hear the sound of quarter bouncing into glass of beer.
    R&J

• Teslamania
    Teslamania Posts: 144
    Options
    HoffmanT8,[p]Here is a link to their website. Contact them and see if they can put you in touch with him. If they won't put you in touch directly, you can send them a letter and maybe they will forward it to him. [p]I am sorry to hear about the passing of your parents. I know your Egg is something you will always treasure.[p]A note of caution: The high temps that you read about with the current egg are probably not appropriate for your egg. The high temps may crack your egg. Check with headquarters as someone else suggested.

[ul][li]APL Web Site[/ul]