Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Broken temp gauge?

Options
JackGT
JackGT Posts: 64
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I blew out my temp gauge on my large by leaving both vents open to burn off the grid. The next day it wouldn't drop down past about 120.[p]So I got a new one from the mothership and did my first cook 2 days ago. Once again I opened the vents and let it get super hot to clean the grid, and sure enough, 2 days later and the new gauge is stuck on 150 (there's no fire, I checked).[p]Is this common?

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    It's probably pretty common if you leave the thermometer in during a super-hot burn. Take that clip off the backside of the thermometer and leave it off! It works fine without it and you can remove it easily. Neither thermometer may be bad. Have you tried to calibrate them? And, why are you going through all this just to clean the grid. I put my grid in when the egg is heating up and clean it right before adding the meat for the new cook.
    I assume you're a fellow Yellow Jacket judging by your handle :laugh:
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    What does the gauge tell you when a cook is in progress?Most all of the BGE gauges will give a 100/150 reading in the dead of winter with no fire haven been started .Put it in a pot of boiling water and adjust to 212 and see what is going on inside of the cooker.
  • JackGT,
    Just a hint......when you go nuclear to clean the grid, REMOVE THE DAMNED THERMOMETER

• JackGT
    JackGT Posts: 64
    Options
    Hint,[p]Thanks for your thoughtful reply.