Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weed burner/Mapp

Options
Chef in the Making
Chef in the Making Posts: 902
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been using the wax starters and am thinking of buying a weed burner or MAPP but I am not familiar with them. Are they one in the same or different. Can one post a picture of them and tell me where I can buy them.

Thanks

Comments

• Fossil Frank
    Options
    I can't help you any on your question, but I was about to ask the same thing. I hope we find out where we can get one.
    Frank
  • Fossil Frank
    Options
    I meant to add that I've looked at Menards and Lowes and they don't have them here in central Indiana.
    Frank
  • Krusty
    Krusty Posts: 77
    Options
    Frank,

Harbor Freight has the weed burners on their website, so I would imagine that they would carry them in their stores. They have a store behind Castleton Square Mall. They also have a store at 4200 South East Street in Indy.

Here is what they show on their website...

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=weed+burner&Submit=Go

You might give them a call to see if they carry it or not.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    This is the weed burner but I only use it for high temp cooks as it lights the whole top. But you can get to 600 in 3 min. The Map is great for spot starting like most cooks. The dog runs & the wife cringes every time I use the weedburner. :laugh: :unsure:

100_1570.jpg

Pat
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    I am cringing as I look at it. It reminds me of a flame thrower. Now I have to find the Map
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I have tried most of them in five years, starters, paper towels/oil, electric, green gel, the can thing with paper on the bottom and charcoal on the top and decided on a MAPP about 4 years ago, Very happy to date, Here is an article one of our lost in the archives posted a few years ago.

BGE, MAPP

I haven't seen much of a thread on lighting your lump with a MAPP gas torch recently, so I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents - what I've learned lighting lump exclusively with my MAPP gas torch.

First :
    1 What part of the flame to use. An egger recently asked what was the hottest part of the flame he should use to light his lump. Well of course the hottest part is the tip of the hot blue flame, but you shouldn't lay that on your lump to start it. You should pull the torch back so the feather end of the flame is tickling your lump. This way, there is still plenty of heat to excite your carbon, and most importantly there is plenty of free oxygen being thrown at the carbon as well, as fresh air is being blasted onto your lump due to the velocity of the flame. If you use the tip of the hot blue flame, sure your lump will heat up and glow, but it really won't start burning until you move your torch away and allow fresh air to hit the spot you just heated up.
    Second:
    1 Where to direct your flame. Many times I don't refill the egg when I relight the fire. And I've found in this situation it's better not to stir the lump around before lighting. When the fire was last extinguished, the lump had set itself up for good burning, so I use that structure to relight it. I direct my flame through the channels that exist in the extinguished lump, and start the fire as deep in the lump as I can. You've probably noticed, that except for lava temp burns, the fire seeks downwards towards the grate. That's where the air is coming in, so when I relight a fire I light it deep in the lump.
    Third:
    1 Building (not reusing) a fire. First I stir around the lump, helping the ashes and small bits of charcoal fall through the bottom grate. I scoop out all the old lump, and put it in a bucket. I shake the bucket around, and if there are any larger pieces I put a couple in the bottom on the grate. Be careful if you used lump made of milled wood, such as Cowboy, because the milled pieces are flat and will lay over the holes and block the airflow through the bottom grate. In this case I do what I learned in Boy Scouts, I lay one piece lengthwise and lay the others leaning against it so it looks like a little campfire down there. I put in more fresh lump on that, and then I upend the bucket with the scooped-out lump into the egg. If there's still not enough (I usually fill to the middle of the fire ring) I'll lay on some more fresh lump to bring the level up to where I want it.
    Fourth:
    1 How many spots to light your lump. Well I go with the majority of eggers here. If I'm lighting for a low-and-slow, I pick one spot in the middle of the lump. Again, I direct the feather of the flame down through a channel to try to light as deep in the lump as I can. If I'm lighting for a quick cook, I'll light several spots the same way around the edges and also in the middle.
    Fifth:
    1 How long to leave your torch in one spot before moving to another. Well this certainly depends upon the brand of lump you are using. Lighter lump like Cowboy and BGE brand will take much less time than dense lump like Wicked Good Charcoal. For lighter lump, I'll hover for a count of 15-20 and for denser lump it's more like 40 to 50. But in any case using the feather end of the flame will light the lump faster than using the hot blue flame.
    Sixth
    1 I will sometimes use a little battery-powered fan to set up a draft right at the beginning. But don't walk away and forget it, especially on the large egg! I did that once, with a pizza stone inside, and when I came back the outside surface of the egg was smoking, and when I opened it up the pizza stone was glowing and had fused to the porcelain grid, and the felt gasket was fried all the way around. But the inside sure was clean!
    2 So the next time you light up your egg (this evening, or tomorrow for many of you!) try a couple of these tips. And enjoy the fruits of your labor. For me, today, it's an injected beef brisket so big I had to scrunch it to fit inside my large egg and it still hits the sides!

Recipe Type
    Equiptment/Toys

Recipe Source
    Author: Chuckls' Lazy L & Big Green Egg online sandbox

Source: BGE Forum, Chuckls. 2004/09/06
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    If you decide to get a Harbor Freight, spend the extra for 91037-8VGA (with pizo igniter).

MAPP is different than a weed burner.

The mapp will take lighting in 2 or 3 spots at about 20 to 30 seconds in each spot. Much smaller flame but very hot. Expect sparks to burn clothing and other thnigs. There will be some time for the white smoke to turn clear/blue and the egg to climb to temp. This is relative fast.

Weed burner. I light in 2 maybe 3 spots for a total of about 15 to 20 seconds. The flame size will depend on how far one opens the supply tank.

The lump will be fully lit many times no white smoke and the egg can be at a 400° very quickly. It isn't uncommon for my large or medium to be at cooking temp within 1 minute when the outside temp is close to 0°

After using both, when it is very cold or I have little time I will use the weed burner.

In the warmer times I will use oil & napkin or MAAP.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    That's the one Pat...

Works great. Kent
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    Thanks to all for the info.
  • Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Options
    I love my weed burner versus electric and parrafin starters. I also use it to burn weeds. The MAPP tool and gas is more expensive and I don't think I would have other uses for it. I have the propane around for occasional gasser use anyway.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    For me the MAPP is much more cost efficient, but I like playing with the flame thrower.

GG
  • boogiewoogie
    Options
    Woody brings up a good point... I have far more uses for propane than I do MAPP. Living in a rural area in the Pacific NW, winter winds knock down powerlines. I need the propane for the campstove, lanterns, heater, etc for such occassions as it can take days for the power to come back up. I use the weed burner for starting fires in the firepit and occasionally to burn weeds after they brown up a couple of weeks after the KILLZ-ALL has had its way with them. Also, the no nonsense egg lighting is impressive.

Frank
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Weed burner in action:

BurnerONSmall.jpg

That is with the "turbo boost" trigger. It isn't always that intense.

It gets the egg hot quickly.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    I started using a MAPP torch (purchased from HD...) after reading about it here on the forum. It gets the job done much faster and cleaner than the starter cubes, and you'll quickly learn to pick lump charcoal that doesn't spatter and throw sparks all over you :ohmy:
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    DSCN2023.jpg
    I use MAPPS, keep it on my cook station real handy!
    My Best,
    Ross
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    This is the MAPP torch I use.

MAPPGas008.jpg

I can get low and slow as well as nuke temps with it. I bought it from Lowe's
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I have MAPP and regular old Propane. I first tried it with Propane to finish off a half used canister that I had, when empty I tried the MAPP cannister and found that it didn't work any better than the Propane and Propane is MUCH cheeper tham MAPP.

Yes, I am cheep.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i use the cheap weedburner from harbor freight that bill posted, its a good 5 or 6 years old now, i leave it outside thru newengland winters and still works fine, will probably replace it as the hose is starting to show signs of wear from the neglect ive put it thru. before that i used mapp torches, had two torches catch fire before changing to the weed burner which is more scary than 500000 btus of flame coming out of a weedburner. wear safety glasses and a hat as the lump will pop some sparks.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it