Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2nd Egg

Options
Chef in the Making
Chef in the Making Posts: 902
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am thinking of adding a second egg. I currently have a large however most of the time I am just cooking for my wife and myself so just wondering what the Forum members would recommend.

Thanks

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    My second was a small. Great combo with a large. Then your third can be a Mini.

He who speaks from experience.
  • Pork N Stein
    Options
    The overwhelming response I've seen to this kind of situation is to buy a small to go with your Large or XL. It seems a medium doesn't provide enough difference from the large to make it worthwhile (in heating times or lump consumption) and the small is more closely matched to the Large for temperature control etc.

The main arguments I've seen for a medium over a small as a second is that there are more accessories available for the medium and that the medium is better suited for slow n low than the small. I'll defer to the experts if there are other things to be taken into consideration.

The third camp seems to be to go for another large if you're just looking for additional space, if money's no object, etc. Then you would be able to use accessories on either egg for ultimate versatility.

I'm not an eggspert, but I've been reading the old posts for some time now and have seen this topic come up quite often. A search will yield a ton of feedback on this topic.

Happy Egging!
    Large BGE and a couple non-greenies
    Roanoke TX
  • Small. We use it most of the time when cooking for just two people, unless we do ribs. Those, we always do on the large, and maybe on an XL soon. If it matters, the small is much more portable than the large.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Most people seem to prefer the small - I went with the medium for two reasons.

1. It has a cast iron grid available. I know you can cut one to fit the small, but this was a factor I considered

2. The BBQ Guru draft door adapter works on the large and medium, the small would have required a new adapter.

I use my medium more often than the large or the mini. It is a very good option as well as the small.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Could you do a 6-7# pork butt on the "small"? I'd like to travel with it...

Rascal
  • We have done a couple of hams a little larger than that on the small, with plate setter. It was really cramped. The dome thermometer had to be all but removed; so far out that it would only register a dome temp of 120*. I would much prefer to use a med/large for this, but it was doable.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Thank you for the input! Most kindly taken!! 8 - )

Rascal
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Just the wife and I here with some cooking for a group of 23.

After my large, I picked up a medium. So far I am really pleased. I don't need and egg to be portable so the medium is fine.

Small or mini, might be fun to have.

GG
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    ahh..the never ending debate :P I had a large..found it more than adequate for cooking for up to 15 people...had to plan it right but not a problem to do..I went with the small for my 2nd because like you often I cook only for me and my wife. Additionally, when I have a long cook going or just need to do taters or veggies at a diff temp the small is more than adequate...in fact..I love the dang thing..use it all the time when I don't need or want to take the time to fire up the large... ;)
  • I just spent the bucks all be it at the insider special price on a new Medium. I wanted something to cook on at competitions, cook on at home for 2 to 3 people and for my BBQ school. I already own an XL.
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    Thanks for the input.

Now I know why this is a never ending debate there is never a knock out blow for one or the other. I guess I will have to take my wife along to see what she thinks (maybe not). So now I must ponder but as the price differential isn't significant between a med and a small I might go with the medium.
  • Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    Options
    I have a large then got a small, mainly so I could take her places without to much trouble. This past Tue. I used the small on Sat. and Monday the large. The large is easier for me to control temps, still getting used to the samll. You can not go wrong either way! :)
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Gotta recommend the SBGE to ya...it's been an outstanding cooker to use since I got it back in January.