Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What cheese to use on Pizza

Options
hawkegg
hawkegg Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I made a pizza the other night and used the premixed pizza cheese from the grocery store. I think it had moz, provalone and a couple of others in the mix. It didn't taste like pizza from the restaurants because of the cheese. Any ideas on best combo for the cheese.
Thanks
Scott

Comments

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    I'm a fan of a good quality shredded mozella cheese. A chain in St Louis uses Havarti. I don't like to use yellow cheese on pizza. Good luck, Tom
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    mozzarella, fontina, asiago are all good on pizza in my opinion. i dont go heavy with toppings or cheeses like the pizza places, so i dont really know what combo the use.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    Don't forget the Parmagiano.
  • I'm a fan of fresh mozzarella.

3-7-08007.jpg

Some shredded fresh parmasian and romano adds a good touch.

Pizza002.jpg
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    Not all cheeses are created equal especially the prepackaged ones. I would buy good quality from the deli and shred your own.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Use whole milk mozzarella, it really makes a difference. -RP
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Definitely a matter of taste, to me a good strong cheese is a must on my pizza.....gorgonzola & asiago my favourites.....only if i have anchovies on my pizza I´d choose milder cheeses.....probably not the answer you were looking for...but also like my coffe expresso...no latte.......strong wines & straight spirits.... ;);)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Like Randy, I like to use whole milk mozzarella - I avoid part-skim mozz as it doesn't seem to melt as well and is a bit grainy. Most major grocers carry both but the whole milk variety isn't as common so you may have to look for it or ask. I typically buy Sargento here in the Atlanta area in Kroger or Publix.

The "Pizza Cheese" you mention premix in the bag is usually mozz, provolone, asiago, and parmesan. I have tried it but am not a big fan.

Fresh mozzarella is great, but it is very soft and can be tough to slice thin enough to cover the pizza.

DoneHamPineapple.jpg
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Fidel,
    I use one of those egg slicers with multiple wires to cut my fresh mozzarella into uniform thickness.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    To each his own, but my wife and I love cheese on our pizzas so to some people we may go overboard. Disregarding the other toppings every pizza I personally make has:
    mozzarella
    Muenster
    Havarti
    Romano
    Asiago
    IMG_2139.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Watch out for "reduced fat", "part-skim" or otherwise, adulterated cheese and dairy products! They are only a way for the food "giants" to dig deeper into your wallets... *You get less, they get more*, all in the hype of "healthy eating"! Wake Up America; the substitutes can be worse than the real thing!
    And what do you think happened to hydrogenated oils in our foods???

Rascal
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Brilliant!!!

Sometimes the obvious answers are the ones we overlook. Thanks.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    ditto that..fresh shredded mozza and parmesian...
    FirstSuccessfulPizza003.jpg
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    That´s got to be the best looking pizza I´ve seen in a long time... :):) sure the taste is just as good...... .like the thin crust & uniformity ......got a written recipe??? TKS