Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Purchasing an Egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am looking to purchase an Egg for the first time and can't decide between the Large or X-Large. I spoke with someone at BBQ Galore and they suggested the Large if I was primarily interested in a smoker. Any thoughts?

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    See comments a few threads down...and get a large...then a small :lol:

really I am serious....

Kim Youngblood
    (aka vidalia1)
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    KReyn,
    you can smoke on either the large or XL. sounds like the BBQ Galore dude is winging it.
    come over here... there's much more discussion (this is the new forum)[p]

[ul][li]new forum[/ul]
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Options
    Can you give us an idea of what you will be using it for. For example do you want to cook for alot of people or just your family..that type of info. By the way welcome to the forum. :cheer:

Oh yeah, check out the forum and read past posts, you can get a good idea what would fit you and your family. Plus this is a fun place to hang out.
  • I will be primarily using it for my family. A few times a year we will entertain and use the Egg.
  • Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Options
    I bet you would be really happy with a large. A lot of people start with a large and then get a mini or small latter for easier transport or smaller cooks.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you can cook for quite a few people on a large.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    these are all cooked in a large egg for reference

100_1483.jpg

100_1439.jpg

100_0808.jpg

2005012055.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Okeejohn
    Okeejohn Posts: 297
    Options
    what's your recipe for the pot roast?

John
  • fishlessman
    Options
    salt then flour then sear with some oil in a skillet, deglaze and add the gravey to the pot. onions on the bottom with the roast sitting on it, fill with liquid half way up the roast, white wine, water, lowsodium chicken broth. simmer til its tender flipping once or twice allowing a bark to form on top. this one was just potatoes added after the meat was getting to the fall apart stage. light simmer only, dont boil it. sometimes i add other root veggies, sometimes i just want meat and potatoes. that was a big chuck eye roast from a chuck roll which is a nice clean no grizzle cut.
    fukahwee maine

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Hello KReyn,

We get this question all the time. Let us know the size of your family and how many you expect to cook for when entertaining?

We will be able to give you more sound advice once we know.

I first purchased a large and mainly cook for the wife and my self. Often we will cook for ourselves as well as two married children's family.

Often I cook for about 12 adults and 11 children. If I cook the correct meat I have no problem cooking for that size of a group on my large.

I think cooking steaks for that size group would present a little challange for that many people.

I did purchase a medium which I intend to use more for my wife an myself. The medium comes in handy for cooking some sides for the big group.

I am entertaining the idea of getting a small or mini for the fun of it.

I don't have any experience with an XL, but I would think cooking mainly for two it would be a huge overkill.

Good luck in your choice. GG
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    How long do you cook it?
  • fishlessman
    Options
    that one was probably somewhere in the 6 plus hour range, maybe 8. i just cook them til the are falling apart inside and crunchy outside.
    fukahwee maine

• Hi, Kent. I cooked two steaks last night on the mini. They occupied so much of the grid that the dome thermo dropped to 120*. I guess the meat acted as a plate setter. But they wuz tasty!. It looked like about a cup or so of lump in the fire box, and it soared to high temp in no time. That mini is just plain fun.
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    Thank you. Too late to start now. I will try it over the weekend.
    Thanks
  • Thanks everyone for your advise. It looks like I can't go wrong with either Egg. I look forward to trying the recipe provided earlier.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Unless you NEED an XL, get a large. You won't use as much lump.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    if you hang around you will see so much good food that it will be hard to fit the cooks in

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    RVH,

I keep looking at the mini and thinking how small that is. Now you say a cup or so of lump, I had to laugh. A couple of starter cubes would be more than the lump. That is just amazing.

I didn't want 3 eggs but I am now thinking about it. I had the same problem for my 2nd egg. Medium or small, went for the medium. Now small or mini (no not both).

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    LOL

I'm having a hard enough time thinking I want a third. There is just two of us so I can't see a forth.

Kent