Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Woot's deal today

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This won't check the temperature of your cook but every home can use one or two of these. If nothing else at this cheap price it might encourage to try Woot. They are reputable people and bargains show up there all the time!
http://www.woot.com/
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    You don't need to post these for us.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I have one of their indoor units that shows the outside temp via a remote transmitter. Besides the time, it displays the date, indoor temp & moon phase. It's kept updated from a satellite so the accuracy is dead on. Pretty nifty!

LaCrosse.jpg

Rascal
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Thanks for the post. Looks like a good deal.
    I have enjoyed "all" the posts on this forum
    and some of the best have been off topic.
    I have also purchased several products after reading
    posts on this forum. Why? Because I trust your judgement in quality
    and when a good deal comes along you post it to let us all in on a little
    good fortune.
    I for one think it would be great for the "BGE People" not to tell the good members such as RRP not to post on this open forum. What real harm does a couple OT bumps here and there cause?
    I say we all chip in and pay Celtic Wolf and let this forum blow in the wind.
    The good people that post on this forum have sold way more Eggs and made BGE alot of money in the past.
    How about a "thanks RRP for buying so many BGE Eggs from us and helping so many people on this open forum"?
    Your friend,
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Bobby-Q
    Options
    I was just politely reminding RRP that advertising is not permitted on the forum.

We have the rules for several reasons and we are very lenient on several of them.

Posts like this are great for some people, very annoying to some people, and very confusing to some people. My thinking in politely asking him not post these was 2/3 of the above examples would be better served without them.

We are very grateful to all of our customers and we work very hard to pay that back whenever we can and my post was made in that vein.

I encourage everyone to post as much as they want but it would be very nice if everyone could follow the very few simple rules we have here.

Feel free to call me or e-mail if you have any questions or concerns about this.

770-934-5300
    bobby@biggreenegg.com
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    With all due respect I did not view your post to RRP as "politely reminding" at all... but more like you were wanting to speak for all the forum members by using "us" instead of "BGE would like you to stop posting ads on the BGE forum" for the above reasons you are now pointing out.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I don't get it. Is something that isn't self serving considered advertising? I guess I'm missing the point here....

Rascal
  • Grillin Guy
    Grillin Guy Posts: 302
    Options
    Since I've been on here, and I admit it hasn't been very long, I've seen "recommendations" or links touting Micky T's Rings, Wicked Good, Royal Oak, MAAP Torches, Lowes, Home Depot, Ruth Chris' Steak House, DigiQII, Stoker, McGonagles, Throwdown With Bobby Flay, Photobucket and Maverick Redi Chek, just to name a few.
    In light of that, why would there be an issue with RRP telling us that there's a great deal on Woot's?

Terry
  • Bobby-Q
    Options
    Please just disregard my comments and my post. I'm stepping out of this.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    RRP,

Thanks for bringing this deal to our attention. If there is something of real value out there, I for one would sure like to know about it.

We have a lot of different OT posts out here from the 'deals' to the current cost of gas & oil, weather. Some are very interesting others are pretty boring.

If these OT post offends someone one, do we have to be so politically corect as that the posts can not be made.

Rather, why can't those few offended folks, simply use their mouse and leave the OT post and get on to something they find interesting.

My 2¢

GG
  • WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    Options
    I am a relatively new user to this forum and I can say that the posts about various products, accessories, and reviews have definitely helped me a lot. However I also find it irritating that this forum contains far more spam and fewer features than most other commercial forums.

Based on RRP's veteran status and excellent reputation here it is obvious to all that he was just sharing a good deal with us. I shop that site myself periodically and I often find deals which others are amazed at later. RRP also flagged the topic as "OT" so I think his post was safe enough as-is.

I am a very frequent user and author for several other forums, and a developer / administrator / owner of about a dozen other sites, so I also understand Bobby's point. The rules are well intentioned and quite necessary in order to maintain quality content and a loyal user base. Allowing established members to bend or break the rules may look ok on the surface but then it is hard for visitors or new users to know the difference and before you know it you have a big mess on your hands trying to administer all of it. This also makes it harder for users to sort through all the posts.

Personally I think the best policy is to have a separate forum for off-topic business, or if this is not possible then to just to ban it altogether to keep the forum focused on the main topics. I do think posts should be allowed when they are indirectly related as long as there is a clear tie-in of some sort, and many of these posts have been allowed to-date so I don't think we have anything to complain about. Especially considering that this is a free forum... :side: