Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sat Q lineup -- Dessert?

RichG
RichG Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey, all. I have a good friend from work coming over on Saturday along with another family for some Q and brew. I recently got him hooked on ceramic cookers (he bought a LBGE about four weeks ago, and has cooked on it every day except a handful....) I'm going to put out he following spread:

ABT's
Brisket
Pork Spares
Coleslaw (my mod of Smoke/Spice's Creamy Slaw)
Frijoles Borrachos (from a circa 1970 Sunset Mexican Cookbook)
Cornbread

I'd like to cook up a dessert on the grill as well, but have never done one. I would imagine that some light smoke on brownies or chocolate lava cake would work. I'm not big on fruit desserts other than cobbler.

Anyone have any killer desserts that they have done on the grill? Lay it on me!!

Rich

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Check out the Chocolate Chip Kaluha Cake on WessB's Site

It's under the 2007 Florida Eggfest (pdf format)
  • how about an apple pie on the egg.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Don't know if it is killer, but really easy. Cut pears in half. Cut a nice round center out. Add pat of butter and brown sugar. Cook until soft. Serve with ice cream.
    Mike
  • Grillin Guy
    Grillin Guy Posts: 302
    I know you said you weren't into fruit desserts but since you like cobblers, you may just like this one. First I cut 5 Granny Smith apples in half and coat them lightly with canola oil. Then I grill them over direct heat (400-450 degrees) flat side first for about five minutes and then turn them for another three or four minutes. You want nice grill marks and for them to start to get all bubbly.

Let them cool a while and then slice the halves into wedges. I remove the peeling at this time, but you can leave it on if you like that texture. Mix the apples with three tbs light brown sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and half a stick of melted, unsalted butter.

In a different bowl, mix a cup of granola, one stick of melted, unsalted butter and 2 tbs of light brown sugar.

Put the apples mixture in a baking dish and pour the granola mixture over it.

Put it back in the Egg at 400 degrees for about twenty minutes (until the granola gets dark brown and the apple mixture bubbles good).

Serve it hot with vanilla ice cream on top. My wife likes it with some caramel drizzled on top of the ice cream.

Terry
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i love the bananas foster that ricks tropical delight did at eggtoberfest. i copied and pasted it from wessb's site minus the pictures not because mine is better but i could not copy and paste it so at the bottom the picture is mine not ricks. i wish i could post his pictures or ones that looks as good as his: ;)

Bananas Foster
    Ingredients
    4 bananas, ripe, but not over-ripe (I used 6 per
    pan at the EGGtoberfest)
    1/2 stick butter
    6 Tbs packed brown sugar (I used 1/2 cup at
    EGGtoberfest)
    1/2 tsp cinnamon (I used 1 teaspoon at
    EGGtoberfest)
    2 oz 151 proof rum
    vanilla ice cream
    Procedure
    Get everything ready because it goes pretty quick once you get started...
    Peel and half the bananas lengthwise (i cut them the other way at eggtoberfest and
    usually do because there is more surface area to hold onto the sauce and it's easier to stir
    them... Your choice really)
    Heat cast iron skillet over high heat till smoking.
    Put butter in pan. It should melt and start to brown quickly.
    Add brown sugar and stir to form a caramel-like sauce that bubbles quickly such that
    when you stop stirring, it "foams" quickly.
    Add cinnamon and stir.
    I do this part a little different than Mario... Add bananas and stir to coat with sauce and
    let cook for no more than two minutes.

Add 151 rum carefully!! and dribble the last drops into the fire
    so it ignites. (Mario adds the rum first before the bananas)
    If rum doesn't light, use a long lighter and be ready to jerk your arm back! (you might
    have observed a little singeing on my arm hair at EGGtoberfest)
    Once the flames die off, about 30 seconds, take off heat and serve with vanilla ice cream
    (i used light whipped cream at EGGtoberfest)
    Be very careful with the rum cause it will burn you! and that's the last thing I need to be
    reading on the forum.
    Do not let the butter and sugar cook for too long as it will burn and taste like it.
    Enjoy and be careful! If you are not comfortable with fire and flaming alcohol, DO NOT
    ATTEMPT THIS.
    Author: Mario Batali - from his 'Mario Tailgates NASCAR Style' cookbook.
    Source: Rick's Tropical Delight (recipe and pictures)

eggin003.jpg

eggin008.jpg

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• ILL--EGGER
    ILL--EGGER Posts: 478
    RRP made this for us and it was fantastic. I would recommend it to anyone and can't wait to make it myself.
    chocolatecake.jpg
  • RichG
    RichG Posts: 8
    Great stuff, all!!! Now, I'll just have to choose something. Looking into the WessB creation, and that apple pie sounds like an interesting idea with a wisp of smoke flavor too. Making me hungry.... :)

Thanks again!

Rich