Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQII VS Stoker and Hello

Options
D-Bone
D-Bone Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello I'll make this my introduction as well my name is Steve from San Mateo Ca. I love to BBQ and am looking into getting my first Egg, probably a large and all the accessories.
I am also looking into the BBQ Guru DigiII and am aware of the Egg Stoker as well and would like some input on those units as well as some sites that sell the DigiQII
thanks

Comments

• Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    I would not get either for the first year.

Learn to 'know your fire'.

But I'm just an 'Old dog'.

Spacey
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    The Stoker is not an Egg Stoker, but rather "The Stoker", able to control many kinds of cookers, just like the BBQ Guru controllers. My web page has reviews of the various models as well as a side by side feature comparison of the Stoker Vs. Competitor. (The review of the DigiQ-II has a side by side between the Competitor and the DigiQ-II, so between the two pages, you should get a fair idea of the differences between the DigiQ-II and the Stoker.)

To me the differences were mainly that the Stoker can control multiple cookers and has the ability for remote control via the internet, while the DigiQ-II is more convenient to use. Here's a link:

Product Reviews of Temp Controllers

Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Katodude00
    Options
    If you want to do an overnight cook and get some sleep absolutely get a temperature control device. As for which, TNW has it basically right. The Guru products are probably easier to use out of the box. However, the Stoker will give you the ability to connect your unit to a computer which allows you all types of options. Notifiying you by email or text message of the status of your cook, remote control of your cooker through the internet or by your smartphone. ability to graph your cooks. If you a little geeky then it is way more fun. And just for full disclosure I possess a Stoker (so I am a little biased).
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Hey Katodude, thanks again for bringing your Stoker to Eggfest for a demo. It was a great help to me.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Katodude00
    Options
    DrBBQ it was my pleasure. I have done a little shopping for a router for you to connect the Stoker to. I found one really cheap here. http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=201683081&adid=17070&dcaid=17070#

I have never heard of this brand before, and not sure of its dimensions. Let me do a little more shopping. I want to find one that is small (to put in the same box as the stoker) and is cheap.

Also if you wanted to set up a wireless internet access on the road I also found this one that you can plug your aircard into. http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1160093298732&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=9873239789B02. However, it is a little pricey.

Give me a few more days to find the ideal solution.