Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st attempt at ribs, 2 hours in

Options
Chad
Chad Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For my 4th meal on the egg.
As a last minute dinner decision for the egg I chose ribs. Probably not the best decision as I hadn't researched the best methods for ribs on the egg and it had been years since I had tried doing them. My first mistake, a rushed and un-researched dinner.

I ran out and picked up two slabs of baby backs around 3:30, planning on getting them on at 5. In the rush I didn't trim them up properly, and couldn't get the membrane off, so I gave in and seasoned them and started up the egg.
Probably was my second mistake.

Two hours in and they're looking fine (I think) I've misted them with an apple juice, apple vinegar mix and then took this quick pic.

d26b50f8.jpg

We'll see how they taste in another couple hours. I'll be a late dinner. Hopefully won't make any more mistakes.

Comments

• JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Look good so far but not geting the membrain a mastake. What temp? If around 250 3-1-1 is a good easy repeatable method. If you need explain holler! ;)
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    I make some of my best mistakes in a rush.I hope that yours come out good.Just don't forget how you did it.You may want it again. :woohoo:
  • Chad
    Options
    JLOCKHART29 wrote:
    Look good so far but not geting the membrain a mastake. What temp? If around 250 3-1-1 is a good easy repeatable method. If you need explain holler! ;)

yea, I'm kicking myself for rushing the process. I should have just waited until tomorrow.

I've been at 225 holding steady. I'm trying Car Wash Mike's method.

I had my neighbors, whom I've never met, peak over the fence to see what I was cooking. So that was a great feeling :lol:
  • JeffHughes
    JeffHughes Posts: 100
    Options
    With Baby Backs, you can bump it up to 275* no problem.

The ribs will be great and you will eat a lot sooner...
  • Hey Chad,

No biggie, just invite those curious neighbors over for a couple of beers and let those ribs go for a couple more hours. I always tell my family to just relax and snack a little more if things go long. You may want to look into getting one of the BGE rib racks, they are pretty cheap and let you load your egg up!

Great pics...

Dano
  • Chad
    Options
    Ribs turned out great. While the underside was a little rough and charred but the meat tasted really good.

I didn't get to snap a pic, while the ribs were resting I jumped in the shower to clean up and when I got back to the table everything was set and ready to go.

I can already tell the next run will taste a lot better now that I know what to fix.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Have you tried the method Randy showed? Works perfectly for me hope it can help you too.

http://www.greeneggers.net/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=404354&catid=1
  • ArvadaMan
    ArvadaMan Posts: 260
    Options
    Chad,

Yes, it is a good feeling to have the neighbors checking out your cooks but you need to be careful.
    If you aren't, soon they will begin showing up on you doorstep with slabs of meat for you to cook.
    We have seen it on the forum time and time again.

The egg can make you the most popular person on the block.

You have been warned!