Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some advice

omahaegger
omahaegger Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm 8 hours in my first double cook, and I need some advice. I'm cooking a 12.3lbs brisket and a 6.5 lbs pork butt, with the pork but above the brisket on a grid extender and I'm cooking at about 240 dome temp. I've only done one other over night before and that was a brisket about the same size. But I've never done a butt at all. How long should I expect a butt of that size to cook? I realize it'll probably be done tonight, but not sure how long.

Thanks and I love the support on this forum.

Comments

• Ron_L
    Ron_L Posts: 163
    It varies for each piece of meat, but my butts average about 90 minutes per pound at that temp.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Butts typically go 90-120 minutes per pound....but each one cooks differently. Some 6 pounders have taken longer than 8 pounders cooked at the same time. They are a strange beast. Just check the temp before you snooze and that will let you know if you need to wait it out or if you can catch some Zs.

The good thing is they are very forgiving. If you let it go to 205 or even a bit higher, it will be just fine.
  • I had some meat probe issues, my brisket probe must have been hitting a fat pocket or the metal in the grid extender and was reading 199 already, I finally got them reseated, the butt is plateauing at 180, been that way for an hour or so, but the brisket hasn't hit the plateau quite yet and is up to 183+, my last brisket plateaued at like 165 so this one is throwing me for a loop. I'm just gonna stick it out and watch it through the rest of this night and maybe a little in the middle of the night. Hopefully, this turns out well, the in-laws and that side of the family are coming over tomorrow and I want to make a good impression.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Is the pork butt bone-in? I'd keep an eye on that brisket, and just check the pork shoulder with an instant read thermometer every now and then. The bone should be able to wiggle free when it's done or close to done. Good luck with the cook, and I hope everyone enjoys the fruits of your labor.
  • well, I'm thinking now that the thermometer that I'm using for the brisket it bad, it's brand new, and I've never used it. I'm gonna wait till the butt is at 197+ and pull it and wrap it and let it rest in the cooler. Once that's done, I'll pull the grid extender out and try the pork butt thermometer on the brisket and see what's going on.
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Something is wrong with either the thermometer or it's placement. (The one in the brisket.)

I'd pull the thermometer and test it in boiling water.
    Omaha is at about 1100 feet and water should boil at 210*.

When you put the thermometer's probe in the brisket, do it from the side and into the flat, not the point.