Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tonights sacrifice: Trex salmon stakes fast

Options
JLOCKHART29
JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have tryed direct salmon stakes a whole bunch of ways but tonight was my personal best. One more day of getting up at 2:15 so needed something fast and more than 2 days with out Egg food will not do. :ohmy:
Took 3 nice salmon stakes and salted them till I thought I had added to much then liberally coated with garlic pepper, not limon pepper but garlic.Only add enough lump tojust cover the holes in side of fire ring. You should still be able to see some light threw the bottom cast great. The reason is you want fast cool time. Only 500 degrees direct as the fish is more sensetive than beef each side for 1 1/2 min. Remove and choke Egg back to 350 degrees. Takes less then 5 min. More like 3ish. While this is happening lightly recoat fish with salt/garlic pepper each side. Toss in a chunk of presimmon (or othe simi mild wood) and cook 2 1/2 min. a side at 350. (Your thermometer will not show 350 but it will not have time to rise in the 2 1/2 min)
My stakes were about 1/4 coated with the white fat glaze when I removed and the thickest part of stake was just barley firm. Still flaked but firm so adjust finnal time to suite you.
I always tend to over cook fish but these were GREAT!! :woohoo: Hope every one has a great time in Fl. and safe trip home tomorrow. I'm sure by now many are "medicated for there protection" :laugh: Wish I were with ya'll. Contomplating OK. OR Tx. fest but haven't figured out how to get that Small Egg on the back of the Hog!! :laugh:
FIRSTMARCHFOOD032.jpg
FIRSTMARCHFOOD034.jpg
FIRSTMARCHFOOD035.jpg
FIRSTMARCHFOOD036.jpg

Comments