Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Turkey question

Options
Smokin Kansas
Smokin Kansas Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone had any experience smoking a turkey? I have never done one before and would like to know if there is any "gotchas" that I need to be aware of? I assume 225 until it has reached an internal temp. 190. Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Madmax has a good recipe. It is great and has always turned out great for me. I don't use the wine.

Although I have not tried thirdeye's turkey recipe as of yet. His site site Playing With Smoke & Fire has a lot of great recipes.

Here is my Madmax turkey.

turkey.jpg

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Sidenote... I also cook it with stuffing in bird, which turns out really good also.

You will really enjoy smoked turkey. I use Cherry or Apple wood for smoking the bird.

GG
  • Smokin Kansas
    Options
    Now that looks like a good turkey! On my way to check out the recipes...Thanks!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    There is a lot of instructions but the cook is not hard at all.

GG
  • Smokin Kansas,
    Smokin...Haven't smoked a turkey on the Egg yet. (Just got it last week). But I used to own a BBQ joint and smoked them in a large metal smoker. I like Mesquite wood for my birds and a tip I recieved years ago was to rub the turkey with mayonaise before putting it on. Yeah..sounded weird to me too, but made the skin nice and juicy. 225 sounds about right. Good luck

• Smokin Kansas,
    Hi there, I've smoked so many turkeys I can't count them! I usually keep my temp down around 250. Depending on the size of the bird, it'll take 3 - 5 hours. Always use the lump charcoal and add chips if you like. I like oak or pecan. If the bird has one of the popup things in it use that. Or a thermometer that you can stick in the breast or thigh. They will turn golden brown and be awesome. At times mine have been so moist and done that the beast would seperate when I took them off. lol Go for it, you'll love the results!![p]Ed