Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Risk taking: Local block party and pulled pork

sdbelt
sdbelt Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sunday afternoon, my neighborhood will be having a block party, right outside my front door. They'll block off my cul-de-sac, and have the party right there in the street. Should be good fun. Several neighbors organized it, since we are all fairly new to the neighborhood (which is still under construction), as a way to meet the everyone.[p]Anyway, yesterday I bought 2 decent sized butts (~6 pounders), and I'm considering cooking them up for the party. The trouble is, that I risk the pulled pork being such a big hit, that I fear the resulting impact it might have on the whole neighborhood. I mean, demand might spike up immeasurable for BGE's. Lump shortages could abound. Pork shoulder prices could double at the local market. Or worse, there could be a violent outbreak at the party, if a pulled pork shortage arises. Horrible scary things, by any account.[p]Still, I think I'm going to take the risk. The organizers have hot dogs planned (or something else equally challenging), so this would be a surprise extra.[p]I've never messed up a butt, so with any luck, that success will continue. I'll probably start the cook after my morning mountain bike ride on Saturday, as I need it to be done by 7:30am on Sunday. A couple of my neighbors have been blessed with this taste from the gods, while others have only heard about it. Of course, on Saturday I'll also have to make a fresh batch of Q Sauce to go along with it. [p]Wish the neighborhood a peaceful success! I'll post a follow-up, with the results.[p]--sdb

Comments