Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brining before cooking Mr. Toad's famous pork loin

Options
Sandi
Sandi Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Would there be any merit to brining a pork loin before cooking per Mr. Toad's stuffed pork loin? If so, how long should the brine go??? [p]Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Sandi,
    Pork and beef think of brine times of 7 days.
    I would marinate for a day for extra flavor on the crust and forget the brine.
    Jim

• Sandi
    Sandi Posts: 107
    Options
    Jim Minion,[p]Okay, what would be a good marinade for about 24 hours?

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Sandi,[p]Here's a link to a thread regarding this specific topic that was posted late last year.[p]NB's Righteous Chop Brine is outstanding with the Toad's Pork Loin.[p]Puj
    [ul][li]Brine and Stuffing Variations for Mr. Toad's Pork Loin[/ul]
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Sandi, Jim might be right but Nature Boy seems to take a different view (like General Patton said: "If we're all thinking alike then somebody's not thinking.") You might want to give a brine a shot. While this one might not complement the flavors inherent in Mr. Toad's Pork Loin, I'm betting it might be good with a different stuffing. See if you can adapt it and let us know how it goes. [p]Brined Chops
    Submitted by NatureBoy
    Here is a recipe for you to try with pork chops. You know the kind of pork chops with very little fat that often comes out like cardboard if even slightly overcooked. A brine works great for these, and I have been using a brine posted on another forum from Spice Cooks. I wanted to try something new with the brine, and the results were fab. Next time you have those super lean loin chops, give it a try. I think an overnight brine with the same mix would be good on a whole loin.
    Ingredients:
    1 cup water
    1 cup apple juice
    ¼ cup salt
    ¼ cup soy sauce
    1 chopped stalk lemongrass
    6 cloves chopped fresh garlic
    ¼ cup brown sugar
    ¼ cup pure maple syrup
    2 TBS pepper [p]Directions:
    Boil the mixture to infuse the flavors, and chill with ice-in-a-ziplock.
    Brine the chops in a ziplock for 4 hours
    Rinse, pat dry, and coat with pepper/corriander/sage/onion powder (don't use any salt), and a layer of yellow mustard.
    Grilled the chops like steaks, maybe 600 for 4 minutes a side, then dwelled to an internal temp of 145-150. They were juicy and the flavor was awesome all the way through.

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    Sandi,[p]My attempt at a brined Toad-style pork loin, resulted in a hammy tasting loin. In comparison the 2 I've done without the brine, I thought, tasted better, and were equally juicy.[p]The brine only seemed to add a salt taste, but no juice, so for me, I wouldn't recommend it.[p]--sdb
  • Unknown
    Options
    Sandi,
    I would go this way and forget the marinade
    I forget where I got this recipe, it's not my creation:[p]Spice Rub:
    3 tablespoons ancho chile powder
    1 teaspoon chile de arbol
    1 tablespoon pasilla chile powder
    1 tablespoon guajillo powder
    1 teaspoon allspice
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    Salt and freshly ground pepper[p]Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper.[p]Ancho Chile Mustard Sauce:
    4 cups chicken stock
    1 cup apple juice concentrate
    6 black pepper corns
    1 teaspoon chipotle puree
    2 tablespoons ancho chile puree
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    2 tablespoons creme fraiche[p]
    Combine chicken stock, apple juice, peppercorns, chipotle and ancho puree in a medium saucepan over high heat and reduce to a sauce consistency. Whisk in mustard and creme fraiche and cook for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper to taste. [p][p]