Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Now I'm not so sure

Options
2»

Comments

• Hi. My name is RVH, and I am an eggaholic......No..wait..I only have 4 eggs, and one of those is a mini, so it doesn't really count.....so thats like only having 3 eggs....since I have them spread out between 2 residences, that is less than having just 2 eggs at a house.....I can get the XL and still have only 2 at a place, since the mini doesn't count.....and lots of you guys have 2 eggs.....so, it's really not that many at all.....and by the way, I can quit any time I want to....no problems here...I'll just drink the punch and be on my way.....
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I think it's a matter of restricting the amount of oxygen that can get to the lump. The ideal burn, in my mind, is one where 100% of the O2 entering the firebox is consumed by the lump. That way, the one variable that we can control - air flow - is governing the amount of heat, and therefore temperature, of the dome. If you choke back the air, less lump burns; open up the dampers and more lump will catch and burn. It doesn't matter which pattern the burn takes (overall), just that it does.

Yes, any duty-cycle (on/off) controller will have to cycle quickly so it won't tend to overshoot the cook setpoint. In fact, the units don't even need blowers but use them because an actuator that opens and closes the dampers would be cumbersome.
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    If convenience and ease of use are your absolutely #1 priorities, get a gasser. Or better yet, use your indoor oven. Can't beat it for convenience and ease of use. Seriously.

mShark
  • OzarkQ
    OzarkQ Posts: 150
    Options
    Ha ha ha!! I think I'm a freak twin of RVH with other obsessions! Maybe I shouldn't have bought the egg after all :P
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    As a former Chargriller owner I can personally testify that you will be much happier with the Egg.

For one if you do a complete cook without reloading the firebox on that chargriller you aren't doing Lo and Slow cooking. I have never had to reload my Egg to complete a cook

temp control on the chargriller at best is a nightmare. Best I ever did was 6 hours and that was in California in June and not a hint of wind. My best with the egg is 20 hours and I give up and shut it down.

Brisket is a tough cook no matter what cooker you are using. I have a friend who is a competitor and a die hard pellet head. If he gets a brisket right he got lucky. I did one the other day that I and my colleagues considered one of my personal best.

Ohhh in case it matters - I now own SIX eggs and my step-daughters boyfriend has my Chargriller.