Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cookbooks

billex
billex Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all
Can anyone suggust a bbq cookbook that they like the best?

Comments

• Ca_rnivore
    Ca_rnivore Posts: 120
    Billex,[p]Any of the books by Steve Raichlen are good. You can check them out at www.barbequebible.com. There are lots of good books out there, but these are a good start.[p]--Kevin

• HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    Billex,
    While on a trip to Springfield, Mo., this weekend, I found "Smoke & Spice" by Cheryl Alters Jamison and Bill Jamison, at Bass Pro Shops for fourteen ninety five, three dollars less than the suggested list. Certainly cheaper than a bottle of Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray No. 10, and it will last much longer! While last night's spatchcocked chickens were straight from the BGE Forum, I do plan on giving a couple of recipes a spin this week. I love the format, apparent ease of recipes, serving suggestions and various tips. Also included is the serving size of each recipe and the book is designed for low and slow smokers, ie..charcoal grills, water smokers, wood burning pits and Mr. Egg. It appears to be a bargain.

• Toe 49
    Toe 49 Posts: 193
    Billex,
    I agree with Smoke and Spice as well as recommend Sublime Smoke. One wich my brother turned me on to and I find it very helpull is "How to cook meat" Check out this following link. I got mine on Ebay for $12.00 but this is almost half price:[p]http://half.ebay.com/search/search.jsp?meta_id=1&product=books&search_by=keyword&query=how+to+cook+meat[p]

[ul][li]How To Cook Meat[/ul]
  • ChicagoQ
    ChicagoQ Posts: 20
    Billex,[p]I second the vote for Steven Raichlen's books, especially "How to Grill" which contains vivid and easy-to-follow color photos of each step in the process. His recipes are easy to adapt to the BGE and all of them are very tasty. Mr. Raichlen is very enthusiastic about BBQ and it shows through in all of his recipe introductions.[p]I also really like Schlesinger's "License to Grill", for its eclectic blend of traditional and nouveau approaches to BBQ flavors. He uses grilling and BBQ as a vehicle for adding new flavors to traditional dishes like grilled vegetable gazpacho. It has many outstanding recipes many of which are suitable for cooking for a crowd. Each recipe is matched to one or more side dishes in the book, making menu planning easy and fun. His drinks are great too. [p]Finally, I also am a fan of Cooks Illustrated's "Best Recipe" series, and their guide to BBQ and Grilling is great. The instructions aren't well suited for smoker or ceramic cooking, but their descriptions of the different cuts of meat and their many variations (sauces, spices, etc.) included with each recipe will definetely stir your imagination and give you many new ways to enjoy common cuts. [p]Enjoy!
  • Dear Billex,[p]I will let others with more BBQ/grilling/BGE experience name their favorites. I would, however, like to recommend my favorite place to buy books. I have no affiliation with this site:[p]www.ecookbooks.com (formerly "Jessica's Biscuit")[p]This site specializes in cookbooks and has more than you will ever read, even some out of print. The prices are always a bargain, some almost half price. S&H is reasonable and with the savings on my books it is still cheaper than buying locally and certainly convenient as it is delivered to my door.[p]I usually take out the cookbook from the library or skim it at a Barnes & Noble or Borders first to see if it is a "keeper" before purchasing.[p]Ellen
  • Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    ChicagoQ,[p]I stopped in at Fireplaces Plus Saturday morning and the sale's rep mentioned to me that he gave my number to a guy down by Wrigley looking to do a pulled pork. It was kind of funny cause I was about an hour away from taking one off the Egg I started on Friday evening.[p]If you get a chance just take a peak at Elder Ward's verse on North Carolina style pulled pork. It is where most of us got our fetchin up on the subject. Then if you have specific questions ask here or give a call.[p]Although from what I read up above I am going to guess ya ain't a novice at this.[p]Regards,
    Jethro

• ChicagoQ
    ChicagoQ Posts: 20
    Jethro,[p]That's me down by Wrigley. Haven't attempted the first pulled pork yet but it will happen soon, thanks for the offer of help! I'll follow the ideas on these boards for sure and call you if I run into trouble. So far I've loved everything I've cooked on my BGE and have become a junkie for these online forums and my many BBQ cookbooks.
  • Billex,
    Steve Raichlen's book "How to Grill" just won the prestigous award as the best cookbook for single subject in 2001 from the IACP (International Culinary Professionals Association). I own this book and it is a good basic book that covers anything you might wish to grill. It includes regional overviews for pulled pork to brisket to grilled vegetables. I'm confident that you will find this book an excellent addition to your collection. The other books recommended in the responses to your post are good as well (I own them too). My favorites however are Steve Raichlen's How to Grill and the Barbeque Bible. Have fun!!!
    Peggy[p]

• Chef Arnoldi
    Chef Arnoldi Posts: 974
    i bought my books @ fantastic low prices at:
    http://www.newbookscheap.com/we_have_bbq_books.htm[p]i like "the barbeque bible" by Steven Reichlen

[ul][li]BBQ BOOKS[/ul]
  • Birdman
    Birdman Posts: 66
    Billex,
    I like Webber's Big Book of Grilling. It is pictured in the link below.

• Birdman
    Birdman Posts: 66
    Billex,The link showing the photo of Webber's Big Book of Grilling is:[p]http://www.newbookscheap.com/we_have_bbq_books.htm