Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Stoker or Guru?

MinneggsotanMinneggsotan Posts: 44
edited 3:20PM in EggHead Forum
Just picked up a new large this weekend and have now decided that I MUST have a Stoker or Guru to run it and my XL. Any thoughts on which one will suit me best? Also, anyone use them in EXTREME cold like we have here in Minneggsota?

Comments

• Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Minneggsotan,

Tough question and the answer really depends on you.

You should visit The Naked Whiz Website and read the reviews for a side by side comparison. www.nakedwhiz.com

I have both (that solved the problem for me bought the q2 first) - here are some thoughts.

Both are highly recomended by forum members.

DigiQ2 (q2) is simple, quick, easy and a great tool. It has higher rated temp probes which was a plus for me.

If you are a techie type and want to watch & control the vent system on your computer then Stoker. The Guru folks also have a remote system.

If you are going to want to control more than one egg at a time the Stoker can handle that. The q2 is a one egg at a time tool.

There is a plotting program for the Stoker that will record the entire cook. (Keep a record of your cooks especially if cooking for others).

If I am in a hurry or I don't want to fuss with much I grab the q2. Lately, unless I am cookig longer than 6 hours or overnight, I generally don't use either.

If one builds a good fire and stabilizes the egg, it will hold the temp solid if one does not play with the vents.

GG
  • JLOCKHART29JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    If you intend to run both Eggs at once using a temp controler, the only option is the Stoker. Grandpas has the ability to give a fair comparison on both having both. I have the "Q" only and love it.
    I am older as far as computer years. I remember a Commador 64 with cassette tape and was amazed in collage. I wanted something easy that works. If it takes more than a few min. to set up or stresses me out than I an't going to use it. I BBQ to relax not stress. The "Q" works. Time after time after time but only one Egg. Its small and I can keep everything in one neat little system on my Egg.
  • EggtuckyEggtucky Posts: 2,746
    hehe...commodore 64..now there's a blast from the past!..was my first 'computer' too JL.. ;) the '64' was for a total of 64k RAM for you 'younguns'.. it was the bomb back in the day :laugh: :)
  • I have a QII and love it. the Hi temp probes work great and Customer Service great too.
    My Best,
    Ross
  • Buster Dog BBQBuster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Well, here is my opinion. The Stoker works great for multiple eggs and if you want to monitor via your computer (some additional purchases may be needed).

But within the last week I contacted both companies by email and one BBQ Guru got back to me and they did the same day.
  • I have a Guru and it works great. I looked at both and price is close enough that it should not be a problem. Guru is simpler and Stoker is more versatile.

Maybe one day Guru will make interface so you can run two eggs. I know it can be done; just wonder what cost and market would be.