Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Chrispy chops.

Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
edited 6:16PM in EggHead Forum
Buttermilk overnight, breaded and indirect at 275 until done on the small.

chop1.jpg

Mike

Comments

• Que ManQue Man Posts: 20
    Mike,

What did you bread with? I'm having chops tomorrow night myself. Might give it a try.

Que
  • ThrRoffThrRoff Posts: 169
    Those look really good. Just butter milk? No bread crumbs or anything like that?
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 8,071
    Don't know what mike used, but I like Panko the japanese bread crumbs. Also great as topping for au gratin & mac & cheese.
  • Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    1/3 cup flour, 1/3 corn meal and a heavy dose (2 tbsp) of Swamp Venom. A little salt. When I cook again, I will baste with a sweet bbq sauce, the heat of the Swamp Venom and the sweet bbq sauce really mixes the flavors well.
    These were about 1-1 1/2 inches thick.

Mike
  • Beanie-BeanBeanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Sounds like a good meal, Mike. I did something like that with chicken wings from the DP site, but cooked the wings raised direct, not indirect.

Are you using the grate mates for the SBGE? If so, how have they worked out for you?

Thanks!
    I love the gratemates. I even go indirect with the wings. I just like that cook better. I just think there is less room for error indirect.

wings2.jpg

Mike
    Thanks, Mike! You're not kidding about the direct vs. indirect method for the wings. Even on a raised direct setup, I was turning the wings a lot to keep them from burning.

I'll try them indirect next time, as you've suggested/recommended.
    I make 1 flip Mike going indirect. Let me know how you like that.

Mike
    Will do--I like the idea of not having to pop the lid all the time, and a single flip for the wings will definitely be welcome. Thanks again!
  • Morro Bay RichMorro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Mike,

275 for the wings too?

How long when you go indirect with the wings?

Regards,
    Rich
    I tone it down a little but really don't care. When I can pull a wing up from the grate freely, I turn and finish. The turn is to get a good crust on the other side.

Mike
  • EggtuckyEggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Mike
    I'm planning on trying these tonight..they look delicious..I got 4 thick chops and put em in buttermillk REAL early this morning..just curious..I plan to cook these to internal, but some idea of time at 275 would help plan the rest of the meal...any idea how long these took?
    I really need to take better notes. 1-1 1/2 hours. Depends on how thick.

Mike
  • EggtuckyEggtucky Posts: 2,746
    hehe..thanks..I need to fire the eggs now! :P :blink: :woohoo: