Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Pizza Pointers

Options
BigChar
BigChar Posts: 113
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy all - Plan on making my first attempt at grilled pizza Wed nite - I have a 2" fire ring I plan on using to raise the grid to the felt line on my BGE-L. Aside from that I would like some advice as to temp, good dough to use, general cook time, etc. thanks in advance for the advice

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    here is a good dough recepie looks pretty easy

This recipe will make enough dough for 4-9" or 2-12" pies. It is prepared using a stand mixer with a dough hook. You may have to adjust your preparation method to suit your equipment.

Ingredients:
    3 cup Flour (I use Gold Medal Better for Bread enriched white)
    1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
    1 package active dry yeast
    1 Tbs sugar
    1/2 tsp Crushed kosher salt
    2 Tbs Olive oil (Use the good stuff)
    1 cup Water

Preparation Directions:
    1 In a measuring cup add ¼ cup 105°F water and ½ the sugar. Mix to dissolve.
    2 Add the yeast and mix to dissolve. Set aside.
    3 To a mixer bowl add the flour, cornmeal, salt, olive oil, and ½ the sugar. Mix well to blend.
    4 When the foam on the yeast mixture reaches the ½ cup mark (10-15 minutes) add it to the bowl and set mixer to stir.
    5 Using the measuring cup, slowly add water until a tacky (not sticky) dough has formed.
    6 Roll dough out onto a floured surface and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic (3-5 minutes).
    7 Place in a lightly oiled (olive oil) bowl, roll to coat, and cover with a hand towel. Place in a warm spot and allow to rise until doubled in size (1-2 hours).
    Special Instructions::
    1 Rising time can be shortened to 45-75 minutes by using a warmed oven. Preheat the oven on warm and then turn off. Add the covered bowl to the oven only when you can grab and hold the oven grate with your bare hand without undue discomfort.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: Spin EHignutt@aol.com

Source: BGE Forum, Spin

California Culinary Academy

i have made several pizzas most of them good
    but what i have figured out is if you are using a pan to make a deep dish this setup works pretty good
    DSCN0265.jpg
    but if you are going to make a thin crust one this setup works best
    03-03-08001.jpg
    the deep dish took about 40 min at 400 the yhin one cooked in about 10 at 475

HTH

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    gpx.jpg

Here's a link to my pizza hints and tips page:

Pizza Hints and Tips

There is a section about grilling pizzas in addition to baking them. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • BigChar
    Options
    Thanks to you both for the tips - Bente - those pies are lookin' RIGHT! yum, I just ate and I'm gettinig hungry again! TNW, honored to have your advice. I slow smoked some baby backs this weekend, thought I might take some of the extra meat, make a BBQ base, maybe carmelize an onion and put some of the shredded pork and onion on the pie.....

Have you ever used a good store-bought dough? My time during the weeks is a little tighter than the weekends.....
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    if you do the pork on there just use your bbq sauce as sauce instead of pizza sauce. i have bought several pizza doughs from my local grocery stor in fact both of my earlier pictures i used store bought dough. mainley because i screwed up making my own :(

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    There used to be a really great local pizza joint just a couple blocks away and they sold dough dirt cheap. (New song: "Pizza dough, done dirt cheap!") Anyway, it was fresh wonderful dough and always worked like a charm, so if you can find it, it is worth a try.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    I buy my dough from a supermarket or a local pizza restaurant. I like the dough from the pizza place better especially if I using it the same day. I also cook mine at about 400.
  • BigChar
    Options
    Perfect - I will check with my local good pie place to see if I can hook it up. thanks guys! Love the AC/DC TNW - That is choice!
  • Large Marge
    Large Marge Posts: 404
    Options
    nice tb! Like that deep dish!
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    DSC02999.jpg

What ever you do, make sure your lump is burning clean before you put your pizza on. From talking with the group, we pretty much decided my 1st pizza tasted strange because I had not burned off the chicken from my chicken direct a few days before. The pizza was cooked well, but it tasted unlike any pizza I've had before. I had enough lump left from the chicken cook and therefore had no need to even add more charcoal.

Good luck,