Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Placement

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,[p]I am a newbie and I was wondering what peoples thoughts were about placing the Egg on a wood deck within a nest. Do I need to worry about burning down the house? Is it safe?[p]Thanks.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i dont advise anyone to put any type of grill on a deck, that includes propane grills. alot of towns up here have laws against grills on decks for a reason
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    You should be OK, but I recommend making sure the fire screen is always closed (my large doesn't have one) and as an extra precaution get one of the cement fiber patio protectors available at BBQ stores and big box improvement warehouses. I have had some coals jump out of the bottom draft door, and the inevitable stains from drips will be avoided too.

Good luck and welcome.

Oh, and always have a fire extinguishers handy! Better safe than sorry!
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    The main concern is sparks out of the bottom vent. Eggs now have "spark arrestors" which should be used. I've had at various times, 5 different ceramic cookers on my deck over the last 7 years, and no problems.
    The Naked Whiz
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You're probably ok but .....

I have had one of those weird flashbacks where flame shoots out the bottom draft door like a flamethrower. Also had unusually sparky lump that was shooting sparks out the chimney and the draft door. I had my egg in it's (now) usual location off the deck near the garage on pavement.

I had my Egg on my deck the first winter and it was fine. In the process I found that the winter sun never finds my deck, leaving it 20 degrees colder than the adjacent sunny driveway.
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Hi Johnny,
    I Have a Large and small BGE I use the Screens on the vent doors and I haven't had any problems cooking on my wood deck. Disclaimer: IF you decide to cook on your deck without protection do so at your own risk. I use BGE, Cowboy, and US made Royal Oak lump charcoal... no problems with this charcoal sparking, crackling or popping so far.
    Hope this advice helps!
    ~Pharmeggist
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Johnny Johnson,[p] You have a bunch of answers on the new forum.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I used my egg for the first year in a nest on a wooden deck and have used Webers for about 100 yrs. on a wooden deck and have not had any problems.
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    All my grills have been used on wooden decks without a problem. I also keep a small fire extinguisher nearby just to be safe.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    This is a valid question, as some have had house fires.

I have two eggs on my deck, which is laid with fake wood... never-rot-stuff.

My eggs are elevated on a "low table" and set near to the house... about 1' !

But -- I use 1/4" thick, 18x18 ceramic tiles as heat shields.

Keep the screen door close, never leave the egg unattended in high temp burns... and use heat shields but under and to the {house-siding] sides of the egg, and you should be fine...

But -- Disclaimer! -- I'm not in any way implying that you have my permission to have your eggs anywhere but in the middle of an open field, with at least 50' before encountering any combustible surfaces.

===

Personally, I'd never put a metal cooker near my house walls...

Enjoy!

~ Broc
    :unsure:
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    JJ,

I burned my house down with a gasser. Nature Boy lost his because of an errant spark from the egg. I keep my eggs on BBQ mats and use the spark screen on the lower vent. My new deck will be cement and my house will be clad in cement board and stucco. I never thought thorouhly about the possibility of a fire but in looking back, if I had taken the time, the whole ordeal would have been prevented. It ain't fun.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    Johnny Johnson,[p]
    [ul][li]Go here for your replies[/ul]