Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is your "go to" recipie

Mainegg
Mainegg Posts: 7,787
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is you best cook? If you had company coming or just friends and they were not familiar with the egg and you wanted to wow them and be totally comfortable with the whole cook what is yours? Mine would be baked beans for sure. That one I have down pat and a Spatchcock chicken they look great and the taste is unreal. strange combo with the beans but OH WELL LOL. or have everyone do their own pizza and I think a cobbler or bananas Foster for desert. Julie

Comments

• Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Short list:

Prime rib.
    Tenderloin
    T-Rex strips or ribeyes.
    Cornish hens
    Chicken (Turkey for a larger crowd)
    Anything fresh from the seafood counter.

Shrimp Scampi
    Spinach & artichoke dip
    Sweet potato chips

Beans
    Asparagus
    Stuffed mushrooms
    Sweet potatoes

A little less formal:
    Burgers
    Brats
    Dogs (Hebrew National or Pearl)
    Ribs
    Brisket for a larger crowd.
    ABTs
    Corn (in the husks)

Chili
    Stew
    Pot pies

Cheesecake
    Bananas Foster
    Cobblers
    Monkey bread
    Grilled pineapple rings with bananas and strawberries
    Rhubarb pie
    Raisin pie
    Baked apples with chocolate & caramel centers
    Smores
  • chicken on a vertical roaster baked potatos asparagus.. potatos and chcken cook at the same time asparagus while the chicken is resting .almost fool proof. leaves lots of time to socialize [drink] while the food cooks the un-initiated are always awestruck by how moist the chicken is. prosciutto on the asparagus is a nice touch.
    below is my first egged chicken before i got the vertical roasters

chicken.jpg
  • I try NOT to cook for too many guests because once they have tasted Egged food they get pushy. "When are you going to invite me over again?" "That (whatever) was delish! When are you doing it again?"

You know what I mean?

Family loves and demands Pulled Pork, baked beans and creamy cole slaw. Then they like Double baked ham. Prime rib. Beef tenderloin. Any grilled veggies.

Haven't mastered pizza yet.
  • Michael B
    When we have guests, I generally try NOT to have something we’ve had at their house.
    Hate to upstage friends.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I was starting a list, like Michael B, but got carried away.

I guess I try to cook to the occasion and not necessarily to impress or wow the crowd. For casual gatherings nothing beats some pulled pork, ABTs, and AZRP spicy shrimp.

For a more formal group it is tough to beat a standing rib roast or a chateau briand. I whip those up with some garlic dill new potatoes and asparagus.

Steaks always please, as does tri-tip, ribs, and brisket.

Point it, everything is good - but anticipating the crowd and their expectations will always get the best results. You won't wow people in jackets and ties with something that is dripping sauce and grease - yet the football crowd won't fully appreciate the work you put in to the finer dishes.

I hope this ramble made sense.....
  • Michael B
    You might have started a list like mine, but your's is better.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    ive been doing alot of thai/asian style cooks this winter so it would be something like that THIS winter. seems i stop cooking a dish once i really start getting it right and move onto the next cooking adventure. made a real nice oyster chicken yesterday subbing out the stock with leminade concentrate and orange extract, had some garlic, alot of ginger, some scallions, and a hot thai pepper in it, i would serve that to anyone and its a pretty fast cook. i like the slower cooks for big company, pulled pork beans and brisket are good to have sitting in a hot cooler before the guests arrive so im not actually cooking during the party. last winter i was on a lamb kick, roast lamb, lamb stew, lamb kabobs, lamb pies, lamb kibbe. last december it was pork pies, seems i was cooking one every other day getting the recipe down to something i liked. i go with the standards on holidays, turkey, prime rib, dr chickens ham.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Michael B
    If you haven't tried it, this one is great:

The recipe as I found it:
    Butterfly Leg of Lamb

1 5- to 6- pound leg of lamb

Marinade:
    1 or 2 cloves of garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon fines herbs
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
    1/4 cup grated onion
    1/2 cup salad oil
    1/2 cup lemon juice

The day before:
    Bone leg of lamb and slit lengthwise to spread flat like a thick steak.
    Thoroughly mix remaining ingredients in a blender.
    In a glass baking dish, in the refrigerator, marinade meat overnight, turning a couple times.
    Remove meat and heat remaining marinade on stovetop.
    Insert two long skewers through meat at right angles.
    Roast over medium coals 1 & 1/2 to 2 hours turning every 15 minutes ‘till medium done, basting at each turn.
    Allow to rest 10 minutes then remove skewers and cut across grain.

I marinade this in a plastic baking bag with all the air squeezed out, so I don't worry about turning.
    I cook this direct at 350 degrees dome, turning and basting every 30 minutes, to an internal temp of 130 degrees.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Socially Unacceptable wrote:
    I try NOT to cook for too many guests because once they have tasted Egged food they get pushy. "When are you going to invite me over again?" "That (whatever) was delish! When are you doing it again?"

You know what I mean?

Family loves and demands Pulled Pork, baked beans and creamy cole slaw. Then they like Double baked ham. Prime rib. Beef tenderloin. Any grilled veggies.

Haven't mastered pizza yet.

Ham is on the extended families list for Easter. and it was assigned to me :( we do a big progressive dinner and I wanted to do something funner! What is your double baked ham?
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    well to be honest i love to do pulled pork mainley so i can put it into foodsaver bags and reheat in no time. gives me more time to be with friends. we have a couple that comes to the house once a month to eat drink and be merry. i have finally got them to stop yelling STEAK everytime they walk in the door. last time we did bread on the egg and then we did a sauceless lasagna, we had the sauce on the side with some meatballs we had done (before the bread) on the egg. was pretty good but alot of work we even made our own noodles. but i think the favorite that i have done for a crowd is Alton Brown's City Ham. i have done one at my buddy's house (he has an egg) for a get together he had. well he invited his parents and sister and us. well now about every month or so i start hearing ham from him and his wife. it finally got to the point where i had to do two seperate ones and have them both watch so i did not have to keep going over there to cook ham for them again.

101_0410.jpg

good topic ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    looks very similar to what i do for kabobs, i usually make tabouleh salad the day before and make the marinade from the tebouleh ingrediants less the tomatoes cucumbers, and bulgar wheat. then use rosemary for the skewers. something i usually buy is the hummus tahini, do you have a recipe for that, got a new food processor and looking for things to do with it.

100_1213.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Pizzas, If it's casual, and it always is at our house.
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    I like to go 12 ounces of coke and 2 ounces Captain Morgan and mix together with some ice.

Actually, chicken thighs for me are fast and easy and good.
  • What is your favorite chicken thigh recipe?
  • BENTE
    here is a good one:

kaiserSoze, here's one recipe. Not sure I agree with the total cooking time of 20 minutes. I cook on a raised grill, direct at about 350, until I see an internal temp of 180. Usually takes about 30 minutes or so at least.

1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinned chicken thighs
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    1/2 cup bourbon
    2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
    1 Tbs grated fresh ginger
    2 Tbs dried onion flakes
    1/2 cup dark brown sugar
    1/2 tsp Sambal or hot sauce of choice
    1 Tbs corn starch
    2 Tbs water

1 Mix together soy sauce. Bourbon, garlic, ginger, onion flakes, sugar, and sambal. Let sit several minutes to allow sugar to dissolve. Mix well.
    2 Place chicken pieces in a 1 gal. freezer bag, add sauce, press air from bag and seal. Massage well to distribute marinade.
    3 Refrigerate overnight , turning several times and massaging to keep marinade distributed.
    4 Set up egg for 350 direct cooking. Add cherry chunks if desired.
    5 Remove thighs from marinade (reserving marinade) and cook thighs for about 10 min. per side.
    6 While thighs cook, put reserved marinade in a sauce pan and boil gently for at least 3 min. to call any bacteria. Mix corn starch and water and add to boiling marinade to thicken to desired consistency. Spoon on the thighs before and after the turn.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Poultry

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Wise One, 02/16/07

Posted by Chrispy Bob (the former Smokey Bob) on May 12, 2004

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    skin on thighs, slight brushing of olive oil, smoking guns rub until chicken is about 160 then a nice glaze of blues hog.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    TRexing some NY Strips is always a fine way to showcase the Egg, but if I want to show off, I'll do some of AZRP's stuffed chicken breasts:

P1010013.jpg
    P1010012.jpg
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Show & flavour: High sear:T´Rex Rib eyes or Porter House 1.5"
    Egg capabiliy: Low & slow:.Brisket 14+ hrs or Ribs any kind 4+ hrs.
    Massive: Roast: Prime Rib, Top Sirloin,
    Connoisseur: Roast Pork Loin Roulade filling of your choice

GOOD LUCK
  • Thanks to you and Bente for two great chicken thigh
    recipes for us to try...also one of our favorites!!
  • Michael B
    That looks good.

Never thought of using rosemary sprigs for scewers... great idea.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    If I've read the responses correctly I guess I'm in the minority here, but my go-to recipes for guests are in the pork line. Whether it be pork tenderloin or pork roasts. One favorite that is a drop dead for sure pleaser is Q-Babes Pork Loin with Red sauce. I also have served a number of Double Smoked Hams over the years as well. One thing I will not do is to test a new recipe on company in spite of raves on the board.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    My wife says "Can you cook {fill in food here}?" I say "Yes Dear"
    It's all good.

Now if I am going to try an impress people with the Egg I go for something that is not your typical BBQ\Grill.
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    I like to make stuffed pork chops and twice baked potatoes. I cheat on the potatoes though. A market near my house sells them ready to go.
  • BENTE
    once you make them on the egg from scratch with some pulled pork you will never buy any premade again

DSCN0276.jpg

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Actually the my local butcher loads them up with cheese, sour cream, green onions, bacon, prosciutto and a nice blend of seasonings, that sometimes it is hard to even think about making my own.