Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Roast

Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got a nice 3 1/2# rib-roast from my butcher yesterday. Last time we cooked one, it was on the gasser rotisserie and turned out great. But I want to do this one on the Egg and try to get equal or better results.

The Large Egg is set up and fired up, and the Guru is getting it settled in.

Now I need some suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Spring "Rib Bone Connected To The Egg Grid" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    hey spring chicken try this one

Beef, Prime Rib, Roast, Julie

I just made the most perfect Rib Roast of my life. My family also agrees. It was cooked perfectly, evenly pink throughout the roast and so moist and tender. I used a technique of roasting that Alton Brown demonstrated on "Good Eats" last week and some seasonings Bobby Flay uses on steaks.

Seasoning:
    1 Tbs kosher salt
    1 1/2 tsp pepper
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp Hungarian paprika
    1 tsp finely ground coffee
    4.5 lb rib roast - bring to room temp.

1 Rub roast with olive oil and coat with seasoning 1/2 hour before roasting. Place roast on a rack in a small pan or pyrex baking dish.
    2 Prepare Egg to a temperature of 250 degrees and place a platesetter in the egg for indirect cooking.
    3 Roast the rib roast at 250 degrees to an internal temperature of 117 - 118 degrees. Remove roast and cover with foil and rest until the internal temperature reaches 128 degrees (takes about 15 - 20 min.) In the meantime - increase the temperture of the egg to 450 -500 degrees. Return the roast to the egg and cook for an additional 10 min. Cover with foil again and rest for 10 min or so and enjoy!
    4 Total cooking time from start to finish was about 3.5 hours.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: Julie

Source: BGE Forum, J Appledog, 12/11/02

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Hey there SC,

The best rib roast I've done was with a dome temp of 250-275 (gotta go back and check the notes) and I did a sear at the end of the cook--500 deg for about 10 minutes (which was too long...8 minutes would have been better) but that was on a 5.5-6 lb roast.
  • Spring Chicken
    Thanks. I think the procedure is simple enough for me to have a rum 'n coke along the way.

And I noticed the author of this recipe was Julie Applegate, so I KNOW it will be good.

Spring "An Egg'n A Day Will Keep The Doctor Away" Chicken
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    I've wondered this before...is the low-n-slow method so desirable because it imparts a delicious smokey flavor into the meat while preserving its natural moistness? Or is it because it gives is more time to get liquored up? :P
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    I do 2 bone roasts often and always did the sear first. With all the responses to reverse sear I think that ones next to try. Where's Mad Max when you need him :( .
    Good luck
    Pat
  • Spring Chicken
    That sir, is a (hic) very good question.

Spring "Make'n The Most Of The Good Time I've Got Left" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Yea, I was think'n of doing the "after" sear.

Spring "Been To The Mountains And They Were Too Tall" Chicken
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    I think a lot more research is called for.

I'll mix the margaritas.
  • Spring Chicken
    I think The Max is taking a long, much needed vacation. Either that or he's in jail LOL... I'm betting he's lurking though, wherever he is.

Spring "Maybe I Shouldn't Have Said No To The Collect Call From The Jail The Other Day" Chicken
  • Leroy...think you have gotten some eggcellent advice, as above, esp on the rub....I usually sear mine @ high heat 1st, then low & slow, pulling @ around 120 deg and resting....be careful not to let the temp get away from you if you like it rare like we do..."cut off his horns, wipe his butt, and lead him to to the table"...

Oh yeah, make sure you keep up the basting (yourself) w/ that Rum & Coke stuff....

What time am I expected for dinner @ the coop?

Howell
  • Barbes
    Barbes Posts: 35
    Would you do me a favor and let us know how you end up doing this and how it turns out? I'm doing prime rib for eight later this week and am planning on following the advice I've gotten here -- slow roast at 250, rest, then sear at 500, all indirect. I'd like to know how it goes for you.

Thanks.
  • Spring Chicken
    I'll try to remember. My Sweetie, Spring Hen, took to feeling poorly and we decided to postpone 'til tomorrow. I already had some pork ribs on so we won't starve.

NASCAR was so dull that I almost fell asleep so I'm up sipp'n my rum 'n coke and trying to stay awake while my BBQ Guru does all the work. I do go mist the ribs every time I'm up for more me-juice. If all goes well we will do it tomorrow. If not we may freeze it and try again after we return from the Florida Eggfest. No use rushing a $50 chunk 'a meat.

I'm sure the advice given so far will work fine though.

Spring "Never Rong Aboute Nutt'en" Chicken
  • Barbes
    Barbes Posts: 35
    OK, thanks. I hope she feels better.

I'm satisfied with the help I've gotten too, just curious about how it goes for you.