Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Irish Soda Bread - Recipe Needed Please

Options
Boatman
Boatman Posts: 854
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Who has a great Irish Soda Bread recipe they want to share? Thanks guys..... ;)

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Check Last years Florida Eggfest Recipes on WessB's Site

You might even recognize whose recipe it it..
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    CW...you gotta have Living Cookbook to read those particular files on Wess's site...just thought I'd mention that..
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Irish White Soda Bread

4 cups (16 oz) of all purpose flour.
    1 Teaspoon baking soda
    1 Teaspoon salt
    14 oz of buttermilk

Method:

Preheat the oven to 425 F. degrees. Lightly crease and flour a cake pan.

In a large bowl sieve and combine all the dry ingredients.

Add the buttermilk to form a sticky dough. Place on floured surface and lightly knead (too much allows the gas to escape)

Shape into a round flat shape in a round cake pan and cut a cross in the top of the dough.

Cover the pan with another pan and bake for 30 minutes (this simulates the bastible pot). Remove cover and bake for an additional 15 minutes.

The bottom of the bread will have a hollow sound when tapped so show it is done.

Cover the bread in a tea towel and lightly sprinkle water on the cloth to keep the bread moist.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Brown Irish Soda Bread Bread

3 cups (12 oz) of wheat flour
    1 cup (4 oz) of white flour (do not use self-rising as it already contains baking powder and salt)
    2 ounces of butter
    14 ounces of buttermilk (pour in a bit at a time until the dough is moist)
    1 teaspoon of salt
    1 1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda.

Method:

Preheat the oven to 425 F. degrees. Lightly crease and flour a cake pan. In a large bowl sieve and combine all the dry ingredients. Rub in the butter until the flour is crumbly.

Add the buttermilk to form a sticky dough. Place on floured surface and lightly knead (too much allows the gas to escape)

Shape into a round flat shape in a round cake pan and cut a cross in the top of the dough.

Cover the pan with another pan and bake for 30 minutes (this simulates the bastible pot). Remove cover and bake for an additional 15 minutes.

The bottom of the bread will have a hollow sound when tapped to show it is done.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Is a Dutch Oven.

Both of these recipes fit in a 5qt.
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Options
    Thanks....I appreciate it. I'll give it a try! B)
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I wish I had my grammies recipe to give you, I love that stuff toasted.