Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick brisket help.

JLOCKHART29
JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got a 11 lb brisket today. Long story to tell latter but ended up with this big'un. Will not fit whole on my medium Egg so had to cut in half: point and flat. Will have to use home made grill extender on this burn. Will put the "Q" meat thermometer in the flat as should cook faster. Ok question. Shouldn't the top rack be hotter than the bottom rack? Using platesetter w/ drip pan. Was planning on putting flat on the stock Egg grate and the point on the higher extender as I thank the higher rack will be hotter that the lower rack and the 2 cuts of meat finnish close to the same time. Am I correct or do I need to do something differant? Using BBQ Guru on ramp 255 dome and meat 190. Thanks

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Considering some thickness differences, a point and flat actually will cook at about the same rate. Temp readings in the point will sometimes be lower during the cook because of the higher fat content, and especially if the probe happens to be in a fat pocket. (Fat is not as good of a conductor of heat as meat is). Since the higher fat in the point makes them a perfect candidate for burnt ends (which requires them to cook longer than a flat).....this gives some folks the impression they always need to cook longer, but that is not the case.)

Anyways, measuring temp in the flat is the way to go so that you don't get it overdone. The upper grate should be a little hotter, and the point can take the heat. So your plan sounds good. Plus the flat will get self-basted from the point.

It's kind of late to bring this up, but next time a brisket won't fit on your grate, drape it over a rib rack or even two empty beer cans. In 2 or 3 hours it will shrink enough to lay flat.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Not sure but think after temps stabilize you'll have an even temp for the whole setup. Sure those that know more than me will chime in.
    Good luck
    Pat
  • JLOCKHART29
    OK Got the briskets on at 22:00 cst. just like I posted above. Thirdeye I used your web site to do this with a twist. Took your rub loosely and turned it to a liquid and injected it. Most rubs on thick meats are not intense enough for me. Will give full burn tomorrow when it comes off. "Q" is running 255 dome. Time to crash soon. Hears a tease: LastwkFEB08144.jpg
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    That is a big brisket.....the 'ol beer can trick may not have worked after all.

New tip....take a tape measure with you to the market. :laugh:

Both fishlessman and Celtic Wolf (or was it stike??) have both recommended a second injection toward the end of the plateau on brisket and butts. It works well, for adding moisture and also to bump the flavor.

Looking forward to some more pictures.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    :laugh:
    I always carry a small ten foot tape that fits in my pocket and over the years have been very surprised at how many time I have used it. Yes, I have used it in the meat dept. You should see people look as I'm I'm measuring a few different briskets or a pork loin to be sure it will fit. :cheer: :silly: :cheer:

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • JLOCKHART29
    Well this thang has been on for 14 hrs and looking good. Will post a sacrifice thread when done with pics and how I ended up with this monster!