Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Radon test results

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,893
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In late February I asked some Radon gas questions because a neighbor had a 20 Picocuries level and it has caused a near panic in the neighborhood. Well today I got my results back and my basement is at 6.3 so mitigation devices are in my near future! DARN :(
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    Options
    in the future, if you re-test you may find different results.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    I understand that, but since it's over the 4 Picocuries level I want to mitigate anyway since my workshop is in the basement. Besides if and when we ever sell the house it would have to be addressed then since Illinois just passed a law about testing and Radon disclosure.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Smoke Diver
    Options
    Hi Ron,

We had a high radon test when we used to live in Pennsylvania. The highest results were in the winter when the house was closed up. We ended up using a fan to draw air under the concrete slab which which then exited outside the house. We had an unfinished basement so they caulked between the wall and the slab. Total cost in 1996 was approximately $1,200.

Rick
    Smoke Diver
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    I've never tested mine -- but looking at the map, and practically living in the basement since I retired, and expect to die soon... of whatever it is it makes you die of.

I'm not going to start saying goodbyes, just yet!

~ B

B)
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    Another reason radon levels are high in the winter is the surrounding ground is frozen thereby making a very effective barrier preventing the gas from escaping. The only outlet for the gas is in heated basements. I live in South Dakota and radon is very prevalent in the eastern half. Had a passive under floor ventilation system installed when we built our house a few years ago. Costs very little during construction and solves the problem if we ever move. I would guess I will die of eating smoked pork before any radon has a chance but what a way to go! :laugh: