Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is this a Boston Butt???

Options
Wardster
Wardster Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought a Pork Shoulder Blade Boston Roast and was told it is the same thing as a boston butt. Is it?? Will it cook down like pulled pork?[p]Thanks
Apollo Beach, FL

Comments

• Wardster,
    I would think so.[p]check http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatPorkShoulder.html to verify[p]
    Matt.

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Wardster,
    I just did two of those last week for our first time at pulled pork. I was also told by the meat man that it is the same thing. We did them following Elder Wards way and they were excellent! Got a spatchcocked chicken on tonight.

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    Wardster,[p]Yes & yes.[p]Chuck
  • Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Options
    Wardster,
    Alright guys, how can a shoulder be a butt. I have heard of having one's butt on one's shoulder, but I really don't think this applies to pigs does it? However, you are all correct in that they will cook out at the same....seems like a bit more fat on the shoulder sometimes but it makes for great pulled meat and enchiladas, etc.

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Gloria,
    I don't know why the shoulder is called the butt, it confused me for a long time. Everything I have ever seen or read says that the shoulder is the butt, and the front lower part of the arm is picnic, and the back leg (which should be the butt) are hams. Dunno. I also think there should be one name for the same piece. That way there would be no confusion at all.

• Gloria,
    A rose by any other name would be as sweet. They call it a butt but it doesn't come from the hind end of the pig. Comes from the front shoulders.[p]Matt.

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    Gloria,[p]The way I heard it, the name has something to with a "butt" that was an old term for a container of some sort that folks in Boston used. How a pork shoulder got in there and so forth, I forget. But, it's not what you fear - butcher who don't know their anatomy. [p]CB
  • Ca_rnivore
    Ca_rnivore Posts: 120
    Options
    Gloria,[p]my guess is that it's the part of the arm that "butts" up against the pigs body, ie not the hoof end of the arm or the picnic part. I dunno, but the butt and the picnic are the 2 parts of the front shoulder.[p]--Kevin

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Wardster,
    I hate when people reinforce an answer that's already been given 12 times, but I would say, yes, that is the 'butt' portion of shoulder rather than picnic. What I would add is that the 'blade' aspect of descripion may imply bone-in rather than boneless. Is there a bone? Personal opinion, bone-in is the preferred cut. There is a certain something that bone-in adds to finished product that boneless lacks.
    Qfan

• Ca_rnivore,
    Your right it is the butt end of the front shoulder (that which attaches to the body) and it was named that to cause giggling amoung the childern or those drinking adult beverages.
    Jim

• Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Options
    Jim Minion,
    You guys are a riot. Thanks for straightening me out on this. I honestly thought the "butt" was the ham portion, and we Southerners always refer to the hind portion as a "ham", so it makes sense now......I think. (I could say that Yankees don't know their butts from their shoulders, but I wouldn't dare do that and risk offending anyone!) I was at a Costco yesterday and, in fact did see pork labeled "Boston Shoulder Roast" and I wondered then just what it was as usually the label would read "Boston Butt". I love this forum!!!:-)

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Jim Minion,...or new forum members who can't resist sending out posts like:
    "My butt is delicious!"
    "My butt is hot!"
    "How do you like my butt!?" etc...
    as you hinted, 'alcohol appears to have been a factor'....lol
    Qfan