Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kentucky Derby Brisket

Options
Stuart
Stuart Posts: 110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My brother in-law moved back to Texas after two years in Louisville KY. He's throwing a Kentucky Derby party in two weeks and has decided to serve brisket as the main meat. I'm honored that he has asked me to do the brisket on the egg. Having never cooked this on the egg I'm in need of some eggsperiance from this crowd. The details follow:[p]HOW MUCH TO COOK? The expected crowd will be about 40, evenly split between the sexes.[p]WHO"S GOT A RECIPE? A Kentucky inspired brisket would be ideal.[p]HOW LONG SHOULD THE RECOMMENDED AMOUNT OF BRISKET TAKE TO COOK? Serving time is set for 5:00 pm, the party starts at 3:00 pm and I don't want to miss any of it. Can I plan on having it done at say 2:50, bring it cooked to to the party and serve it in an electric warming pan thingy?[p]Thanks, Stuart

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Stuart,
    I think it would be more fun if you took the egg to his house and cooked there. After you took the brisket off, you could put them in a cooler wrapped in foil and a towel, and then do 3 spatchcocked chickens too! I did this last fall so that we would have beef and chicken. I only did a 6-7 lb brisket. I wonder, could you cook multiple briskets on a sturdy rib rack, turning them on edge?
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • bbqbeth
    bbqbeth Posts: 178
    Options
    Stuart,[p]For me the Kentucky Derby has always been a gala event! Why not use a bourbon based barbecue sauce on your brisket and don't forget the mint juleps!
    Enjoy!
    Beth