Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

sealing the shell

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,767
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
any ideas how or what to use to seal that. water must have gotten in and froze, pop.

100_1784-1.jpg
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Wow.... I've never seen that before.
    I'd dry out the lid completely... probably fire it up for a cook and when it's cooled down and slightly warm to the touch apply a thin layer of high temp epoxy to the exposed body overlapping a bit onto the glaze.
    BGE make a touch up paint that would probably do a pretty good job of sealing it up, as well.

Did that happen before or after firing it up?

john
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Why fix it. Looks like a dealer defect issue. It's not like you dropped it.
    I have never seen a statment from BGE that voids this as a covered problem.
    Perfect example of getting your moneys worth from your dealer.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i'd ask woodoggies.

dude's a ceramic conservator.

does look like a 'pop' from inside. it's all splayed out evenly around. at first i thought you drunkenly may have clonked the thing with the daisy, but i think it'd chip differently.

do you have the piece that came out?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    rats. eight seconds before me....
    hahaha

knew you'd know, yo.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    Options
    havent used the small this winter, when the snow melted with the rescent rain it showed up. there was an air pocket in there about an eigth under the glaze.
    fukahwee maine

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    If you can find the chip, re-glue with a high temp epoxy. If not, maybe mask the area, and spray a bit of engine enamel.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    that big piece in the middle that i didnt lift up and some smaller pieces that i took out to show the damage. im surprised it doesnt have any drunken damage, well the rain cap, but everyone eventually breaks that.
    fukahwee maine

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    That makes a lot of sense... the hole filled with water and when the temp fell below freezing and the water expanded into ice.... Kabloomy! and a bummer.
    PhotoEgg has a good point if you can't live with it but if it doesn't bother you, it's easily fixed.

You should see what happens when an air pocket explodes in a kiln firing... the force can destroy the other pots around it. Pretty dramatic stuff.

john
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    My Grandmother was big into ceramics. As kids she would let us make "junk" out of the scrap after her pour. One day one of our junk pieces expoded and we had more fun trying to make more that would also explode. Grandma did not find it as funny.
    I with I was into the Egg before she passed and the family sold all her kiln racks and stuff.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    Rain Cap? What's that? Do you mean the green ashtray that came with egg. Amazing how it won't lay flat.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Call John at BGE, send the picture and get a replacement dome. That looks like a warranty issue.

GG