Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Loin Recipe -- again....

Options
Broc
Broc Posts: 1,398
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Roast Pork Loin Roulade

This recipe is for cooking a full pork loin – about a 10 lb roast. Of course, you can roast a smaller hunk-a meat… A full loin will serve 14 – 20+ people.

I have, over the past six months, cooked pork loin for groups of 30, 40 and enen 150 -- each time on my Medium Egg, no less!

To help keep the meat moist, I ALWAYS butterfly the loin -- that is, slice it so that it lays out, like unrolling a scroll. It's best to get the meat quite cold [but not frozen] to do this. When the meat is stiff, it's easier to control when slicing.
I diamond-cut [1/4"] and season the inside [S & P, herbs, sauteed garlic and onion] and layer it with fruit, nuts, sometimes Italian sausage... Italian sausage and apricots -- yum! The sky's the limit! I’ve created raspberry roulades, apricot roulades, apple roulades… If you feel necessary, use rice as a base for the roulade, and add whatever you’d like [experiment with cheeses!].

Then, I roll it back up, so it now looks like a "jellyroll". Tie it every 1.5 inches or so.

Apply your favorite dry rub to the exterior, wrap it in plastic -- and put it in the fridge overnight. Dry rub recipe below.

Next Day -- Cook Day...

Let the pork sit out for up to an hour to warm up a bit before roasting.

Bring the Egg to HOT -- as in 600+F. Sear the roast about 2 min on all sides. Pull the roast, and drop the Egg [oven] to 350F.

Set up for an indirect cook, 350F – 375F, with drip pan. Keep liquid in the drip pan [anything, even water. I prefer apple cider.] Don't let the drip pan dry out, or the drippings from the roast will burn… not good eats!

Roast until 140F internal -- won't take long after searing... maybe 40+ minutes.

Pull at 140F internal -- and double wrap the roast in heavy duty aluminum foil to keep juices from "leaking.” Further wrap the roast in several old towels, and place in oven, or "cooler" chest for at least 1/2 hour -- up to four hours. The roast will "carry over" cook another 6 - 12 degrees, and get very juicy.

Slice-'n-serve...

Get used to hearing... "I've never eaten a pork loin this good!"

Respond with modesty, and give all credit to the Egg.

Smiles!

~ Broc
broc4brockway at yahoo dot com

This is a very good and basic BBQ Dry Rub. It works well on any food for smoking or grilling. Compliments of DrBBQ [Ray Lampke].
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1/2 cup Turbinado sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon granulated onion
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cayenne
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Mix ingredients together
Store in dark, cool, dry place, airtight container

Comments

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    I left a message for you on the thread below "cooking on the egg for 20"......also just wanted to ask you if you got any picx of the pork loin roulade?? TKS
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    I'm doing a baby pork loin just as a munchie right now on the mini. But this sounds FABULOUS. Do you slice this thin like you would a roast beef? Probably marvy on hoagies the next day.

Thanks.

mShark
  • Broc
    Options
    The roulade woun't allow it to be sliced extremely thin, like roast beef... but I've can usually cut uniformly about 1/4"

Usually cut 1/2 inch slices...

Next day -- Yow-za! Absolutely!

~ Best

~ Broc
  • Broc
    Options
    I'll look below --

But, alas! I'm a Neanderthal... don't have any kind of camera...

One of these days...

~ Broc