Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dinner on the egg for 20

Options
Beli
Beli Posts: 10,751
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We´re having 20 people for dinner .....and they all have heard about the egg but not tasted any of it.......and they want to try it.....i can´t imagine of a better group than this to suggest what to cook for them...I have a large egg and couldn´t get another one in time. TKS

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    With a group that large, you'll probably have to do a fair amount of cooking ahead of time. Why not do a couple of butts and, while those are resting, do ribs, pig candy and/or ABTs?
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I was thinking the same as J. if you have the time. A few pork butts will serve a crowd and allow you to do a few other cooks while they're on hold. Good luck!

Rascal
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I agree, most bang for the buck with butts. -RP
  • Big Hairy Dawg
    Options
    I normally do traditional BBQ including ribs, pulled pork etc for my friends so I decided to do something different this past weekend. We made build your own quesadillas.

I started by doing a chuck roast for making pulled beef. I cooked it low and slow for 12 hours and then finished it in a dutch oven with some beer and BBQ sauce. I would have finished on the egg but needed the cooking space.

For an appetizer, I made some ABT's and then grilled veggies, chicken breasts, shrimp, and a flat iron steak. Yes, I am crazy and always cook way too much stuff. This could be MUCH simpler if you limit the ingredients.

Once all the meat was done, I put my pizza stone in the egg and gave it 20 minutes or so to warm up to about 400. Then, I just started cranking out quesadillas on the pizza stone. Once it is hot, it only took 30 seconds per side to brown them up.

My group has pretty diverse taste buds so cheese quesadillas were great for the kids and then the adults could make whatever they wanted.

It was really fun and the food was great. Also, this method allowed me to spend more time hanging out with friends than cooking as most of it was done ahead. I cooked the shrimp and flat iron right before serving as they are not good reheated. It was also perfect weather in Atlanta on Sunday so that just added to a great meal.

Good luck!
    BHD
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    If time is an issue, maybe a couple of beef tenderloins, twice baked potatoes, grilled veggies or whole romaine. ABT's are always a great start. Finish with your bananas foster (which I still haven't got right :( ) Alot of options out there.
    Good Luck I'm sure it will go great
    Pat
  • Beli
    Options
    TKS. You are a real pro my friend....that newbie egger description is completely misleading. Wish I could deal with logistics as easy as you do.
  • Beli
    Options
    Yes that sounds very good...is the logistics that i find difficult most of the time.... :unsure: .... ....... so I am looking at something not too complicated like this. TKS
  • Beli
    Options
    Yes that seems to be the smart thing to do......since its my first big party on the egg I´ll need to do a bit of cooking ahead of time. TKS
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    You could do a large ptime rib and while it is resting do an appetizer like shrimps or ABTs.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Jeffersonian
    Options
    That's a super idea, but I hope he's got some deep pockets if he goes that way. I did shrimp for the first time last night and they were exceptional.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Did you see the pics of his backyard? I'm pretty sure a nice roast wouldn't break the bank.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Jeffersonian
    Options
    I probably have, but it's not popping into my tiny brain right now. If he can do a prime rib roast, I say go for it...it's an impressive, delicious meal.
  • Beli
    Options
    Yes that´s an excellent idea....have done it many times on my brick oven, but never on the egg......any idea of what size should I get to fit my egg?? I´ve got a large??? also shall I get it with the bone¨?
  • Beli
    Options
    Hahaha...good point....we are very well known in this part of the world for being very "Tight fisted"......but we could make a very tasty exception this time :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Beli,

I hope someone that does catering will chime in. I have a book at home that has information about portioning. I will get back to you this evening. My thinking would be; 18" of diameter on the large so get about 16" worth of roast (to allow for the curvature). It is good for sandwiches ant the bone meat makes great stews.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I would keep the bone in if poss. You can start from the larger side bone and trim down like you are cutting it off the roast and stop just short, season from the back, fold back up and tie in place. This will make cutting easy after the cook and get a little more seasoning into the meat.
    My butcher said two servings per bone is a general rule and has worked well in the past.
    sounds like great meal for friends with some good sides to go with it.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Have you seen my recipe for whole pork loin roulade [stuffed and rolled like a jellyroll]?

Ya finish it s few hours in advance, foil and wrap it, stuff it in the cooler with more towels, then the egg is cleared for sides...

Easiest and tastiest side -- OOed, salted baked potatoes. You've never had a baked potato as good as what the egg'll give ya!

Forget the meat -- just give me a couple-a bakers!

~ And fresh, sweet cream butter!

Awww -- I'm gonna go bake a tater... right now!

~ B

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Roast Pork Loin Roulade

This recipe is for cooking a full pork loin – about a 10 lb roast. The recipe is for cooking it outdoors, in a Big Green Egg [www.biggreenegg.com], and you may need to adjust it for your roaster. Of course, you can roast a smaller hunk-a meat… A full loin will serve 14 – 20+ people.

I have, over the past six months, cooked pork loin for groups of 30, 40 and 150 -- on my Medium Egg, no less!
    To help keep the meat moist, I ALWAYS butterfly the loin -- that is, slice it so that it lays out, like unrolling a scroll. It's best to get the meat quite cold [but not frozen] to do this. When the meat is stiff, it's easier to control when slicing.

I season the inside [S & P, herbs, sauteed garlic and onion] and layer it with fruit, nuts, sometimes Italian sausage... Italian sausage and apricots -- yum! The sky's the limit! I’ve created raspberry roulades, apricot roulades, apple roulades… If you feel necessary, use rice as a base for the roulade, and add whatever you’d like.

Then, I roll it back up, so it now looks like a "jellyroll". Tie it every 1.5 inches or so.
    Apply your favorite dry rub to the exterior, wrap it in plastic -- and put it in the fridge overnight. Dry rub recipe below.

Next Day -- Cook Day...

Let the pork sit out for up to an hour to warm up a bit before roasting.

Bring the Egg to HOT -- as in 600+F. Sear the roast about 2 min on all sides. Pull the roast, and drop the Egg [oven] to 350F. If you’re cooking indoors, bring a griddle to high heat for the sear, or broil for 2 min/side.

Set up for an indirect cook, 350F – 375F, with drip pan.

Keep liquid in the drip pan [anything, even water. I prefer apple cider.] Don't let the drip pan dry out, or the drippings from the roast will burn… not good eats!

Roast until 140F internal -- won't take long after searing... maybe 40+ minutes.

Pull at 140F internal -- and double wrap the roast in heavy duty aluminum foil to keep juices from “leaking.” Further wrap the roast in several old towels, and place in oven, or "cooler" chest for at least 1/2 hour -- up to four hours. The roast with "carry over" cook another 6 - 12 degrees, and get very juicy.

Slice-'n-serve...

Get used to hearing... "I've never eaten a pork loin this good!"

Respond with modesty, and give all credit to the Egg.

Smiles!
    ~ Broc
    broc4brockway at yahoo dot com

This is a very good and basic BBQ Dry Rub. It works well on any food for smoking or grilling. Compliments of DrBBQ [Ray Lampke].
    - 1/2 cup salt
    - 1/2 cup Turbinado sugar
    - 1/4 cup granulated brown sugar
    - 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
    - 1 tablespoon granulated onion
    - 2 tablespoons paprika
    - 2 tablespoon chili powder
    - 2 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
    - 2 teaspoons cayenne
    - 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
    - 1 tablespoon ground cumin
    - 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Mix ingredients together
    Store in dark, cool, dry place, airtight container
  • Beli
    Options
    This sounds exceptional.....and very original......and also relatively easy logisticswise.......funny just yesterday I was telling my wife how I haven´t seen dry BBO rub in this part of the world...but probably is just that i haven´t looked properly, and now you send the recipe. TKS a lot.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Beli,

Boneless rib eye yields 10 servings for 4 lbs. or 1.8 kg.
    Bone in yields 25 to 30 servings per 14 lbs. or 6.3 kg.
    These portions are from the Culinary Institute of America "New Professional Chef" Textbook
    Let me know if you need anything else.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON