Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Results of using sand in drip pan of XL cook

Options
easygoinjay
easygoinjay Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I put sand in the drip pan of the half-moon raised grid on my XL so that I could quick-sear some chicken thighs and then finish them off indirect. The sand acts as a heat barrier. I posted this idea earlier.

So how did it turn out? the chicken was great. See below.

DSC04982-1.jpg

You can see I also cooked some asparagus. I just did them high-heat direct. I like a little char.

My impressions of the effectiveness of the sand-filled drip pan as a heat barrier? It's very effective. It's actually much more effective than I anticipated. I didn't preheat it very long before I put the chicken and it took the chicken forever to cook! They simply weren't getting much heat from below even with the coals blazing.

I don't think it's a problem at all, I think it's just something I will need to get used to. I will probably pre-heat the grid and sand more this next time so I won't slow things down as much.

It seems like it may be a valuable tool to use when you want to quick-sear something at high heat and then not wait for you grill to cool down to continue cooking. My next attempt will be to do the Trex technique except that I'll take out the waiting period for the grill to cool and just put in the grid to protect the steak from too much direct heat. I'll report back with results.

Good egging to all.

Comments