Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blade Steak

canadian bacon
canadian bacon Posts: 37
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello...anyone ever smoke a beef blade steak.... I know a tri-tip is cut from a blade but up here we can't get that cut. I mean those big cheap 2-3 inches steaks that make great pot roasts. Looking for done temp and any other suggestions. I figure anything that can be braised can be smoked.[p]Thanks[p]CB

Comments

• axpro
    axpro Posts: 50
    Never tried it, but it should work. Blade has a good amount of connective tissue (the reason why it is great for pot roast!)

There needs to be some excel spreadsheet or chart that lets us crazy Canucks know exactly what cut you Southerners are talking about.

That being said, if you go to a good butcher, they'll know what you ar talking about.

:)
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Isn't the blade the larger cut from which flatiron steaks are cut? I seem to recall that the flat iron is one half of the blade, separated at the connective tissue, so that each flatiron is about 3/4 to 1.5 pounds (max) and about 1/2 inch thick. If I'm correct, you might try separating them and cooking each one separately - a quick TRex style with very little dwell is great for flatirons. Of course I may be totally wrong here . . .