Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How level does ground need to be?

Options
elmuyloco5
elmuyloco5 Posts: 43
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Haven't gotten our egg yet, but was concerned that maybe our area wouldn't be level enough. Every pic I've seen of an egg is on a deck or patio. We have neither and must put it out in the grass (and live in a rental, so we can't make a patio either). As long as it's sitting fairly level, will it be ok? Or does it really need to have a deck type platform underneath?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i only run into an issue when using liquid, like for paella. 4 cups of broth will nearly brim the paella pan, and so you want it nearly level.

for grilling, smoking, etc., no real concern
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    as long as the lawn is flat it would be fine, i might get a table over the regular stand as it might be less tippy. my eggs just sit on a patio block on the ground, thats all thats really needed, but a table is nice to have.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I have my Eggs in nests, one each on 4 12" patio blocks next to my herb garden. The blocks are flat enough that I can pivot the Eggs so that the bottom vent doesn't face into strong winds.
  • elmuyloco5
    Options
    Thanks guys! We plan to build a table for it (and won't even be getting the nest). Just wasn't sure how exact things had to be, or if it would put stress on the ceramic. We're really looking forward to our egg purchase. Our gas grill was thrown two separate times across our yard from the bad wind storms we've been having. The second time smashed it up pretty badly. Needless to say, the egg will be positioned in a different area :laugh:
  • Biscuit
    Biscuit Posts: 208
    Options
    elmuyloco5 wrote:
    Thanks guys! We plan to build a table for it (and won't even be getting the nest). Just wasn't sure how exact things had to be, or if it would put stress on the ceramic. We're really looking forward to our egg purchase. Our gas grill was thrown two separate times across our yard from the bad wind storms we've been having. The second time smashed it up pretty badly. Needless to say, the egg will be positioned in a different area :laugh:

Don't worry about the wind,a large egg weighs about 160 lbs. I don't know where you live but my guess is that a large or a XL could most likely make it though a tornado. ;)
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Nice work Elmuyloco5 (Soy El Muy Loco cuatro). That is what I told my bride.

"Look! The wind blew our pit across the yard and damged it beyond repair. Now we will have to get a new one. :whistle: BTW - why don't we go look at these egg things I have been hearing about." ;);)