Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lechon Asado

Options
Old Salt
Old Salt Posts: 357
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Recipe for Lechon Asado

Here's the recipe care of the Cooks Illustrated site-- if you like this recipe, perhaps consider subscribing.. I subscribe to the online recipe database they've got.. (8-> :

Cuban-Style Grill-Roasted Pork on a Charcoal Grill
7/2006

Letting the cooked roast rest for a full hour will yield noticeably more tender meat. This roast has a crispy skin that should be served along with the meat. Top the meat with Mojo Sauce (see related recipe). Traditional accompaniments include black beans, rice, and fried plantains.

Serves 8 to 10

Pork and Brine
1 bone-in, skin-on pork picnic shoulder (7 to 8 pounds)
3 cups sugar
2 cups table salt
2 medium heads garlic , unpeeled cloves separated and crushed
4 cups orange juice

Garlic-Citrus Paste
12 medium cloves garlic , peeled and coarsely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons dried oregano
1 tablespoon table salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
6 tablespoons orange juice
2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil

1. TO BRINE THE PORK: With sharp paring knife, cut 1-inch-deep slits (about 1 inch long) all over roast, spaced about 2 inches apart. Dissolve sugar and salt in 6 quarts cold water in stockpot or large bucket. Stir in garlic and orange juice. Submerge pork in brine and refrigerate 18 to 24 hours.

2. TO APPLY THE GARLIC-CITRUS PASTE: Process garlic, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper in food processor until they reach consistency of coarse paste, about ten 1-second pulses. With machine running, add orange juice, vinegar, and oil through feed tube and process until mixture forms smooth, wet paste, about 20 seconds. Remove pork from brine and rinse under cool running water; pat dry with paper towels. Rub paste all over pork and into slits. Refrigerate pork until ready to grill.

3. TO GRILL-ROAST THE PORK: Using chimney starter, light 4 quarts charcoal (about 60 briquettes) and burn until fully ignited and partially covered in gray ash, about 15 minutes. Empty coals into grill; build modified two-level fire by arranging coals to cover one-half of grill in even layer. Position cooking grate over coals, cover grill, and heat until hot, about 5 minutes; scrape grate clean with grill brush. Place roast with skin side up on cool side of grill and shield with foil according to photos below. Cover and cook until grill temperature falls to 225 degrees, 2 to 3 hours (coals will be gray and partially disintegrated). After 1 3/4 hours, heat oven to 325 degrees with rack in lower-middle position.

4. When grill temperature has fallen to 225 degrees, remove foil and transfer roast to wire rack set over rimmed baking sheet or to roasting pan with rack. Roast pork in oven until skin is browned and crisp and instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of meat registers 190 degrees, 2 to 3 hours. Transfer roast to cutting board and let rest 1 hour. To carve, first remove skin in one large piece. Scrape off and discard top layer of fat, then cut pork away from bone in 3 or 4 large pieces. Slice each piece against grain into 1/4-inch slices. To serve skin, scrape excess fat from underside and cut into strips. Drizzle Mojo Sauce (see related recipe) over pork just before serving.

I

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Old salt,
    Where is the mojo recipie?
    Thanx,
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    We went to Cuba after Christmas. They must have a thousand ways of doing pork shoulder, all of them are excellent. They use a lot of citrus and it really seems to cut the fat.
    Not as spicy as I would have expected. Oddly, the only hot sauce they had at our resort was Tobasco

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• KickapooBBQ
    Options
    I can't wait to try the recipe but where's the mojo.
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    Options
    cookn biker wrote:
    Old salt,
    Where is the mojo recipie?
    Thanx,
    Molly

Sorry about that. I was copying the recipe and the Mojo was in another post.
    I cooked the butt completely on my old clay egg. See previous post on Lechon Asado. I have pictures there.

Mojo Sauce
    The sauce can be made while the cooked pork (see related recipes) is resting or up to a day ahead of time and refrigerated in an airtight container. If chilled, let the sauce come to room temperature before serving.
    Makes 1 cup
    4 medium cloves garlic , minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 4 teaspoons)
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
    1/4 cup fresh orange juice from 1 to 2 oranges
    1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

1. Place minced garlic on cutting board and sprinkle with kosher salt. Using flat side of chef's knife, drag garlic and salt back and forth across cutting board in small circular motions until garlic is ground into smooth paste.

2. Heat olive oil in medium saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add garlic paste and cumin and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

3. Remove pan from heat and whisk in remaining ingredients. Transfer to bowl and cool to room temperature. Whisk sauce to recombine before serving.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Here is a very similar but different Pork with Mojo Sauce recipe. Looks like a littl more citrus in this one. It's outstanding. I'm egging this along with carribean rice and black beans for 50 on March 15.

I looked at several cuban pork recipes on various web sites and ended up modifying one from the Food Network - Bobby Flay Throwdown. The following is how I modified to Egg.

Ingredients:
    4 1/2 cups fresh orange juice, divided
    1 1/4 cups fresh lime juice, divided
    1 orange, zested
    1 lime, zested
    1/2 cup finely chopped fresh oregano, divided
    12 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1 bone-in pork shoulder (about 4 to 6-pounds), trimmed of excess fat
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Combine 4 cups of the orange juice and 1 cup of the lime juice and zest in a large saucepan over high heat and reduce to 2 cups.
    Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining orange juice and lime juice add a few cloves of garlic and 1/4 cup of the oregano.
    Let cool to room temperature.

Using a paring knife, make slits in the roast and stuff with 10-12 pieces of garlic.
    Whisk together the oil and remaining 1/4 cup of the oregano in a large roasting pan, add the pork and turn to coat. Add one half of the Orange/Lime marinade,
    cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours.
    Remove the pork from the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking. Season the pork with salt and pepper and cook at dome temp of 300.
    Baste every hour with the reserved marinade cooking until golden brown until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center reaches 150 degrees.
    Remove from the Egg, baste with any remaining glaze, tent loosely and let rest 15 minutes before slicing.

Mojo Dipping Sauce:
    8 cloves garlic
    1 serrano chile, chopped
    3 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
    Salt
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1/4 cup lime juice
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    Using a mortar and pestle, mash the garlic, serrano, cilantro and a few pinches of salt until it becomes a paste. Add the orange juice, lime juice and oil and stir to combine.