Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Second cook - any suggestions

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This will be only my second attempt at cooking on the BGE. However, my friends are tired of me talking about how cool the BGE is, so now they are forcing me to have a patio party on Saturday for them. Any suggestion on something to cook for 6?

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Byrdman,
    Either a beef or pork tenderloin seems to do well with a small gathering like that..there are several VERY good recipes in the "submitted recipes" section to choose from based on your preference...HTH[p]Wess

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    Byrdman,[p]Sorry. couldn't find what you cooked first?[p]Earl
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Byrdman,[p]I'm not sure where you're based, but if you're a fellow Yankee - and it wasn't your first cook - do pulled pork. It's delicious, easy, your pals probably haven't had much experience with it, and it makes any evening a party.[p]A lightly smoked leg of lamb is another idea, especially if you throw some asparagus on the grill while the meat is resting.[p]Cathy
  • ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Options
    Byrdman,
    Pork loin is a fairly cheap and foolproof way to go.
    And the results can be first rate.
    350° to an internal of 140° (about 45 min to an hour).
    Stuffing is optional but very recommended.

• ravnhaus
    Options
    For a view into the past
    Of loins long ago...

[ul][li]A Visual Tale of Three Loins[/ul]
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Byrdman, impress 'em. Try bacon wrapped scallops as an appetizer. Easy, cannot screw it up. Just cook until the bacon is done (it will take 30 minutes or so.) And they are good. Then follow up with a stuffed pork loin. Mr. Toad's stuffed loin is really good. You can do them at the same temp. And you could actually do them at the same time if you have a large. But, I guarantee. They will be blown away.

• Earl,[p]I started with Scott's Infamous Mustard Rubbed Steak using 1.5" to 2" FM with a 3/3/3 method. When I was cooking I started losing temp because I was playing around with the BGE for about 2.5 hours before acually starting to cook the steaks.
  • Cat,[p]I currently live in the big easy.... However, I am from Bama and I know all about good Pull Pork. That is one of the many reasons I got the BGE. I think I will try that next weekend when I have more time to track down a good sauce.[p]Thanks for the suggestion
  • ravnhaus,[p]I have already checked out your web site... Great Job. It looks like you really like bacon. Pork Fat Rules, Right. How does that seem to work for you.
  • jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    Byrdman,
    the scollops sound good
    do a pulled pork and wrap them in foil,then put in a small cooler for 2 hrs prior to serving, then pull it on the table. you can cook the veggies and the scollops during that 2 hr period.

• Wise One,[p]I been reading a lot on rising the rack with bricks and adding a drip pan. Should I do that or should I use a v-rack inside of a grip pan at the normal height.[p]Thanks a lot for the help.... I need it.
  • ravnhaus
    Options
    Byrdman,
    I rarely eat the bacon anymore. It is more for flavor and presentation. And it helps keep the stuffing in.[p]

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    byrdman, My easy route is to get a second grill and just place the pan on the first grill and then palce the second grill over the pan. Place the meat over the pan and you have it indirect. Wrapping the pan in tin foil will save you some cleanup issues. Alternatively you can use a v-rack over a pan. Either way works.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Byrdman,
    I'm with WessB. Pork tenderloin is one of the best tasting, easiest meal to prepare. Marinate in the morning and don't even start till they get there. Have the Egg lit and stable temp. When they are there, put the tenderloins on, close the lid, open beers for all. After the first beer, flip them and if you take your time sipping, they'll be done when you're finished the second round!
    Don't get much better!

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Byrdman,
    Pork Tenderlion would be hard to beat for newbie that has to feed six and can't afford a disaster. It tastes great is easy to cook and allmost impossible to do wrong.
    I'd cook 3 tenderlions for 6 peolpe and try 3 different marinates, etc. That way you'll have something for everyone, tastes vary.
    Listed below are my 3 favorite recipes for tenderlion, I think the sesame is the best one.
    Which ever you pick cook them indirect at 375 degrees until 160 internal temperature (do not over cook). It will take about 45 minutes. It would be best to monitor the temperature with a polder, etc. and leave the dome closed except for basting. Smoking wood is optional.[p]Recipe Links:
    http://biggreenegg.com/recipes/newRecipes/pork0116.htm
    http://biggreenegg.com/recipes/newRecipes/pork0206.htm[p]Smoked Sesame Tenderloin:
    1 lb pork tenderloin 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
    1/2 c soy sauce 1/2 c. honey
    2 cloves garlic, minced 3 lbs. brown sugar
    1 tsp. ginger 4 Tbs. sesame seeds[p]Combine soy sauce, garlic, ginger and oil. Mix well. Marinate tenderloin in mixture for 2 hours in refrigerator. Remove from marinade and pat dry. Discard marinade.
    In shallow dish or pie pan mix brown sugar and honey Roll pork in honey mixture; coating well. Roll tenderloin in sesame seeds.[p]Happy Q'ing
    B D

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Byrdman,
    Jeeeez, all these pork fans.... Ok, I gotta stand up for my little chicken friends. CLUCK! You might like to try spatchcocked chicken. It's easy (see my website pointer below). It's quick. It's good. And you can impress your friends with your knowledge of spatchcocking. Just tell them it is a term that originated in 18th century Ireland that means "to butterfly". The origins of the term are thought to be somebody who made a word out of the phrase "dispatch the ****", as in "kill the chicken". They will be putty in your hands. They will also think you are a culinary genius. [p]TNW

[ul][li]How To Spatchcock a Chicken With Pictures and Everything!![/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Big Daddy,[p]Thanks for the info. I will go with you suggestion and try to use a few different types marinates.[p]I will let you know how it comes out.