Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Basic Cooking Question

Options
Boatman
Boatman Posts: 854
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My previous cooking experience pre egg was small quick things done on the Weber gasser. Burgers, chicken breasts etc. I see lots of folks cooking large quantities on their eggs after firing them up. I am still only cooking small things ( 2 steaks, 1 small loin etc) at a time on the egg. So...here is my question: :huh:

Do you/can you cook a whole loin and freeze some part of it after cooking? Can you unfreeze a loin, cook it and refreeze (doubtful)? :S

I do not have a foodsaver....will it help and how? :whistle:
As always, thanks for the help.

Comments

• JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Sure you can cook a loin and freeze part to thaw and eat later. We do it all the time BUT the reheated part will be 1/3 as tastie as the original. Drys out. As far as buying a fresh loin from store, freezing then cooking and freezing the cooked meat to eat later do that also. Just freeze as soon as home from the butcher. ;)
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    > Do you/can you cook a whole loin and freeze some
    > part of it after cooking?

Yes. But only once. Package the leftovers to be frozen in amounts that will be used when thawed.

> Can you unfreeze a loin, cook it and refreeze
    > (doubtful)?

If you mean defrost an uncooked loin, fully cook it, and freeze the left-overs... yes.
    If you mean freeze a partially cooked loin, thaw it, and complete the cook, NO!
    If you mean thaw and refreeze leftovers, no.

> I do not have a foodsaver....will it help and how?

They make packaging for storing or freezing easy.

http://www.foodsafety.gov/
  • Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    Options
    Go make friends or keep the old ones HAPPY!!!!!!
    :)
  • ArvadaMan
    ArvadaMan Posts: 260
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with small cooks on the egg. I use my small for small cooks all the time. Since you close the egg and save the leftover charcoal for the next cook, it is fine.

I am not a person who is fond of leftovers so I cook just what I think we will eat in a day or two tops. Otherwise, use what I cook in two totally different dishes. For example, I might cook chicken breasts one time. The leftovers might go into pasta the next night, etc.

Like I said before, I am not big on leftovers so I break my meats down into smaller portions before freezing and take out a little at a time to cook. I prefer this to refreezing the leftovers. Just my opinion.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    OK -- Here's how ya cook a 10 lb pork loin.

1 - Chop it in half.

2 - Take the fattest half, and slice it into pork steaks... about 1"+ wide. Others, double-wide for butterflying... Chop up this half of the loin.

3 - Wrap these individual steaks in the "electric-suck-all-the-air-outta-the-baggie-thingie." Ya gotta halve one-na them things. Stuff stays frozen longer without freezer burn.

4 - Of the skinnier half, chop off the uneven end -- and freeze/save this for whenever you want some pork meat to add to somethin' good.

5 - Chooze one of many great ways to butterfly, stuff, tie and roast this Half-Loin. Be sure to sear all sides well, then put some Idaho taters in the Egg with it [olive oil & salt]...

6 - Fix whatever else you want for dinner.

7 - Eat to your heart's content, but then...

8 - Bring some roast pork and baked taters to your neighbors [or invite them to the party].

You;ll be surprised the wonderful things they'll do for you when you aren't lookin' -- Like shoveling your sidewalk...

Enjoy!

~ Broc

:whistle: :cheer: :ermm: