Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Standing Rib

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am proud to be a new egg owner and just cooked "the best standing rib roast I ever put in my mouth" and I think Guru also agrees as I invited him over, but he was deep into the red wine. I have no idea what i did except I started at 550 degrees for about 20 minutes and continually closed it down in 20 minute and 75 degree increments until it hit 275 for 2 hours, for a total of 3 hours. Now I don't know if this is beginners luck, magic of the egg, but I did look on the forum and did not see any standing rib directions. Does anyone have any improvement ideas??? All I know is that bugger came out eggactly right, even though Guru kept calling my egg a virgin, yes it is still white and tan inside.......looking for a nickname and being a regular member to the forum.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Heimbach,
    Congrats on your new purchase...a world of wonders awaits. I think your success was a combination of "egg magic", and the fact you did the perfect thing for a prime rib. Start off high, and step down, allowing for nice crust without burning.[p]If it was that good on your first, it only gets better!
    Good luck coming up with your new handle, and I look forward to sharing suture adventures with you.
    NB [p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Heimbach, I used two eggs to do my 5 bone PR for Xmas. I flamed the outside one in my small BGE on all sides at 700F..Rotated it about every minute till it was darkened all over, then put it in the large BGE at 350 Degrees till finished. Didn't use a polder till I checked it towards the final moment. Took about 3 hours also..and like you, it was melt in the mouth goodness. 140F internal
    Your first trial run was a excellent way to a top Prime Rib.
    Cheers and welcome to the forum..
    C~W

• Heimbach, I am noone here, but I watch, and I think you should be dubbed "The One"!! If you can run a touchdown back first time on prime rib!! Look out for you!

• Heimbach, I must say congrats on your cooking success. I must also offer my condolences on your choice of dinner guests. Oh well,,, as long as he is at your house,, the property values in his neighborhood goes up. I've been trying to get him to come down here for a while and give north Ga a break.. Welcome to the forum. I will also tell everyone that you are the one that started my interest in baby-backs. Your first attempt hooked me. Since Gure don't use his beachhouse much, yall jump in the burb and head on down.. Ask jimbo about his ideas on names. He named Guru and me..