Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What temp?

Options
greenhead
greenhead Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I watched an episode of License to Grill the other night, where the guy smoked a sugar cured ham. On the show he said he cooked it for 3 hours, on his website he says 2. In neither place does he say at what temp "done" is. At what temp should I pull a ham?

Here's the link:
http://www.foodtv.ca/recipes/recipedetails.aspx?dishid=5548

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    if its an uncooked cured ham, internal temps should be on the label as well as cooking directions. im thinking 155-160 to be safe. if its precooked you dont need to cook it, but 135 to 145 works. that recipe looks like its for a precooked ham and not just a cured one, recipes ive seen for cured only hams looked alot more involved than that, soaking times etc.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Are there cooking directions, or does it say on the packaging whether the ham has been cooked or not? If so, you can eat it out of the package or warm it to your liking. If not, 160F is about what you're looking for. Sounds like the recipe you mentioned is for warming a pre-cooked product. Happy hamming!

Rascal
  • greenhead
    Options
    This was definitely a cured, non cooked ham. I'll go for 160.