Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baked Potatoes on a large Egg

Charlie Hustle
Charlie Hustle Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to bake some potatoes to sell at our high school event as a fund raiser.[p]My questions are:[p]How many baked potatoes can I cook at one time on a large Egg?[p]What temp would be good?[p]How long should it take to cook them?[p]Thank you very much!

Comments

• Here's a link to my page on baking potatoes:
    Baked Potatoes. 1 hour at 400 degrees seems to work well for me. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    you have a grid extender or homemade raised grid? i'd think you could get a veritable pantload on there that way.

probably two to three dozen at a time.

rub with olive oil maybe, sprinkle with kosher salt, no foil, 400 for an hour or til the fork test proves them done.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Charlie Hustle,
    You should get quite a few on there. just like the oven bake them at 400 for 1 hour. See link for more responses.

[ul][li]New forum link[/ul]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    if you started earlier and put them in a cooler when just about done and reload them as you need thm in the egg, you could do even more. i like lard coated on them then rolled in salt and onto the egg the best. likes been said about an hour at 400, maybe just a little less time so check on them.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Times & temps in above posts are great. Don't go pokin holes in the spuds, they didn't do anything to you.

I have cooked huge bakers on 3 layers and can get a lot done in one cook. However, for what you are talking about get a large cooler.

Put some blankets in the bottom and get some hot water in bottles inside the cooler to get it warm while the spuds are cooking.

When the first batch is done take the spuds and place them in the cooler on top of some towls/blankets (or newspaper - towls/blankets are better). Cover the spuds with another towl.

Cook your second batch another towl and again cover with more towls/blankets.

Keep goin until you have all the baked potato's you want. This works with corn too.

Take a small microwave to your event, just in case, but you should get 4 to 5 hours serving time out of a cooler (if the spuds last that long).

Topings the normal things as well as, garlic, onion, paprika, garlic peper, lemon peper, red peper flakes. All are great additions.

I know a guy who does this (not egged) at small carnivals and festivals. Makes quite a bit of money. He sells corn and spuds and lemonaid.

Hope your fund raiser goes well.

GG
  • I agree with theWhiz. My large will have 25 on it later this afternoon. However, I do use foil
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Awwwww -- really?

Y'er jist foilin' us, eren't-cha?

;)
  • So why no poking. I have always been told to poke them with a fork before putting them on the grill.
  • I do mine between 400 and 450. They take about an hour but to be sure I take a skewer and test them. If it goes through easy I know they are done. I also rub mine in olive oil with salt and pepper and sometimes add additional spices.