Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ II burn results w/std grate

Options
Beanie-Bean
Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, the upper right-hand side of the lump seemed to get the heat again this round using the DigiQ. Check out the burn pattern here:

IMG_9414.jpg

See the side of the firebox? Here's another shot:
IMG_9416.jpg

I'm thankful that the lump burned more evenly across the top this time, though. I really should have taken some pics of the results using the DigiQ/Turbo Grate combination--it was much more extreme, and almost nothing off the left-hand side burned. Not really confidence inspiring if I've gotta cook something overnight for a long time. Perhaps I shouldn't be reading too much into this, because I really enjoy what the DigiQ does as far as maintaining the pit temperature, I'm just concerned about how the lump burns more on that side.

Oh yeah...that's the 2" fire ring that's become part of the low-and-slow configuration. You can see the outline of where the standard fire ring sits.

I'll have some more "experiments" going this weekend on the SBGE this time to see how it holds up with the "Q" And yes, I'll take FlaPoolman's advice and enjoy myself while cooking :)

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    LOL I was just kidding with you BB. But if your cooking indirect the burn pattern doesn't matter. I think if you let it go most if not all would burn. Maybe another experiment??

Pat (I'm a drinker not a thinker) Poolman
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    Where are you lighting the fire? I used my DigiQ2 last week and did 2 butts and a brisket at 275 dome temp. When those were done after about 14 hours I was nearly out of lump and all burned evenly. I filled to close to the top of the firebox and lit in three separate places like in a triangle.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I should ask you the same thing. Better yet I should ask how much lump are you putting in your egg.

I used my DigiQ II and after a 14 hour cook I still had more then enough lump to cook tonights chicken.

I am sure there is enough left to cook another batch of chicken Saturday.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Options
    I'm lighting the fire over the middle of the top layer, and squeezing in the flame where there are gaps around the center. Are you recommending 12/4/8 as the points to light the lump? I usually just concentrate on dead center.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    I always light my lump in more then one place. usually four places (3/6/9/12)
  • Beanie-Bean
    Options
    Alright, I'm going to make sure that I resist the urge to light the very center for the experiments this weekend and light it at your prescribed points, and I will post the results. Thanks again for the words of wisdom.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Light the lump a couple inches from the wall of the firebox and at more then one place.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Ahh bean my friend. As Shotgun Fred told me: "Trust your new best drinking buddy" I have used "Q" several times on 16 hr. pluse burns at 260 degrees on my medium and never worried. I take a fire starter stick, break in half and stick one half 2 inches off center and the other half on other side of Egg 2 inches off center buried in lump with end sticking up. Light, start up my "buddy", open beer and relax, open beer and relax, open beer and relax, open....... well you get the picture. Next go to bed. Sleep till you wake up, eat some breakfast then go see your "buddy". See life is good. Work is not! B)
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    When you think about this, it seems predictable that it would happen this way. The Guru is forcing air into the firebox at the 7:00-7:30 position, so it's reasonable to assume that it would tend to travel to the 1:00-1:30 position, with some rising into the lump before it hit the wall and turned upward.

I used to work in an automotive paint shop engineering department and we'd drive ourselves nuts trying to get the airflow right in our paint booths with all manner of exotic mixers, grates, etc.

You might try putting some sort of partial air dam under the firebox to deflect a portion of the air expelled from the Guru upward as it comes out of the blower nozzle. A piece of angle iron might do the trick.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    There goes my "Who wants to be a million air?" phone a friend talking. Better listen! :woohoo:
  • Beanie-Bean
    Options
    You guys are the best! I'm still laughing my you-know-what off :laugh: Gotta take the advice to light off-center to heart, as well as the beer drinking instructions (I almost fell out of my chair when I read that one.) Of course, all the beer will have me waking up just in time for the Spring Chicken 2AM forum check after which I'll go out to check the cooker only to find out that all the lump in the right half of the cooker is ash now and my pit temp is dropping. I think at that point, I'll just take the roasts or whatever it is I'm cooking and stick it in the oven.

Nah...that wouldn't be any fun to write about the next day. I really enjoy cooking on the eggs, and you guys make it even more fun every week, so thank you for all the feedback.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    This is just a jargon-filled way of saying, "Put sumpin' in front of it so's it blows up!" :P
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    Bottom of the bag, smaller pieces and 5 degrees outside. I usually get a lot more out of those cooks.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    On the large egg, I light in the center, one spot. If using a guru, I'll light a bit off center and toward the guru. T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.